Making my own crampons - What alloy?

daylward

Would any of those mechanical or metallurgical engineers out there who also happen to be climbers, or anyone else for that matter, know what steel alloy crampons are usually made out of, and even better, where I can get some (besides buying crampons)?

I'm trying to make my own crampons for a special purpose. I've got the design all figured out, even have a CAD drawing of them that can be quickly turned into a milling machine progam, and I have access to the milling machine. I've made a prototype out of aluminum, and the design seems just about perfect. All I need now is the metal. Ideally, it would be an alloy that responds well to heat treating, but doesn't get too brittle. Basically, the stronger the better, as long as it still bends before it breaks.

Dan

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably some type of Cro - Moly Steel (and you say, duh!)

Dan, you may just want to call SMC (makers of the ubiquitous SMC 12-point strap on dildo...err crampon and other various general moutaineering implements) or MSR, both are local companies that make climbing equipment using steel.

I tried looking up SMC's website, but I couldnt remember if they were Seattle Manufacturing Co, Seattle Machine Co, or something else, and it seems "SMC" is a pretty common acronym...

Cheers, Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I did it!

I went and bought a 17" square of 1/10" thick 4130 (chrome - molly steel). I had the shape machined out, bent 'em up, brought 'em to Washington Metallurgical and had them heat treated, put D-rings on for the strap lacing, and voila, I now have a super-cool pair of crampons that fit on my rock shoes! smile.gif

Dan!

That's awesome man. Why carry boots up a rock route with a snowfield in the middle when you can just put crampons on your rock shoes? Is there any route in particular that you made them for? I assume that you only plan to use them on really beefy rock shoes like the La Sportiva Mega. Very cool.

-Colin