New full color Yosemite Big Wall guidebook

Chris_McNamara

spread_yosbigwalls.jpg

The new big walls book is on its way... and its in FULL COLOR!!! this is a really big deal for me. i've always dreamed of doing a full color guidebook... but never thought i would because... well, guidebooks have always been black and white.

well, not anymore. color is here at SuperTopo, and it is here to stay. the pages are thick, glossy and there are photos look great. well, that is my own opinion, you can check out a free download of the guidebook here:

http://www.supertopo.com/freetopos.html#nose

i have a few advance copies of the book and the quality turned out way better than i thought. they are so good, that we have decided to do all the future supertopo books in color too.

other than the move to color, the new guidebook has 15 new routes and updates to all the old routes. there are 3 new formations including: Ribbon Fall Wall, Liberty Cap, Mt. Watkins. to see a list of all the new routes, click here: http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=67989

and, before April 27, you can get a free print copy of the book when you buy the eBook. check it out here: http://www.supertopo.com/bigwalls/yosemite/bigwalls.html

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spread_yosbigwalls.jpg

The new big walls book is on its way... and its in FULL COLOR!!! this is a really big deal for me. i've always dreamed of doing a full color guidebook... but never thought i would because... well, guidebooks have always been black and white.

well, not anymore. color is here at SuperTopo, and it is here to stay. the pages are thick, glossy and there are photos look great. well, that is my own opinion, you can check out a free download of the guidebook here:

http://www.supertopo.com/freetopos.html#nose

i have a few advance copies of the book and the quality turned out way better than i thought. they are so good, that we have decided to do all the future supertopo books in color too.

other than the move to color, the new guidebook has 15 new routes and updates to all the old routes. there are 3 new formations including: Ribbon Fall Wall, Liberty Cap, Mt. Watkins. to see a list of all the new routes, click here: http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=67989

and, before April 27, you can get a free print copy of the book when you buy the eBook. check it out here: http://www.supertopo.com/bigwalls/yosemite/bigwalls.html

Thank you for letting us know Chris.

Regards;

Bill

Thanks for the update. A lot of us appreciate the info.

It’s often hard to follow/find the high-quality, smaller print-run guides. I assume that a small grass-roots guidebook company like Supertopo doesn’t benefit from the massively funded advertising and marketing campaigns that other publishers have – as well as being pushed hard by mega-mall style outdoor retailers. It seems like Supertopo relies a lot on word of mouth as being a top-notch guidebook producer.

Btw – this website is chock full of guidebook “touting”. So I’d call it anything but spam or spray. Perhaps it should go in the Events forum, where other guidebooks are being sprayed about. Or the Rock Climbing forum since it’s not a trip report. Or even the Online/Mail-Order Gear Shops forum if you prefer.

Also, I tried all the links, didn’t get a single pop-up and readily found free information.

Thanks for taking all the adventure out of climbing El Cap so you can make a buck, Chris. Here's to ya bigdrink.gif

I'm quessing you've done el cap a lot to make a statement like that! I'm also going to guess you have done your share of el cap routes without a topo? If this is not the case you are more of a dumb fuck than just full of shit.

hey guys,

sorry if that was spam. i am not intending to clutter the forum with advertising. i just thought the big wall enthusiasts out there might want to know there are new topos out there.

the taking away from the adventure comment is understandable because ever since the very first map/guidebook to ANYTHING the argument has been made that guides take away from the adventure. read the intro to roper's green yosemite guide. in there he says he doesn't publish ANY topos because they take away adventure. then meyers came out with the first topo guide... then the reid guide came out with more detail... then supertopo... and now roper is one of our biggest supporters and loves the topos.

so, its on ongoing discussion... how much detail should be in guides. good news is that you can choose how much info you want.

how much detail should be in guides. good news is that you can choose how much info you want.

Chris, the how much info in guides is a 2nd and separate discussion IMO. No need to apologise either. Again, from the 99 percent of us here, THANK YOU for the heads up.

The joy of climbing with a guide book can easily be avoided by people like Specialized if they would just not buy one. I'm glad the books have gotten better. Although I love to show up and just adventure climb, there are plenty of places around here that have no guidebooks and I do that occasionally in those uncharted out of the way places, some of which have yet to see the footprint of man. Specialized can do the same.

I remember the transition from the Green Roper Yos book to the loose leaf Meyers Topos. Schweet! My partner struggled and took a hang freeing the 1st pitch of NW Face of 1/2 Dome which the first Meyers topo called 5.9, then it got changed to 5.11 in the yellow book.

My point is accuracy and information is to often be envyed and appreciated. It is easy to leave the book in the car if one wishes for something else. Just walk down the vally and pic a line on Watkins for instance.

High Regards:

Bill

I appreciate the work you have done Chris, and just remember people will always complain about everything... I also know, that if I want detail, I will buy your super topo, if I don't, I won't. My choice, my responsibility...

No one seemed to give JoJo any flack for pitching his guidebook here, and his level of participation in the site was the same or lower than Chris's, and I was glad to get information on Don's updated Guide to West Coast Ice, and learn when Jason and Alex's book would be hitting the shelves.

I think there's a balance one can strike here. It's obviously not my site, but I think there's a big difference between someone using the BB to get the word out about a small print-run guidebook that covers an area that cc.com users regulary climb in, and Norton logging onto the site to shill Sandy Hill Pittman's tell all expose. And in the case of folks like Don, Jason, and Alex - I think it's cool that long-time contributors can use the site to get the word out about their books, and exchange information with their readers.

As Chuck mentioned - Chris posted a pretty sweet TR and some other stuff before ever mentioning a book. I'd say his contributions are at least on par with Joe's.

Admit it - you are just upset because the publishers rejected your 11"x17" Vantage/Zeke's Boulders coffee-table book with the Haiku's and interperative essays, and you are taking it out on others. Even the add on multimedia feature which included the shirtless guy with the goatee doing the interpretive dance based on the base-of-the route pantomiming of the moves on Skip-Em-Or-Clip-Em wouldn't make them bite...

As Chuck mentioned - Chris posted a pretty sweet TR and some other stuff before ever mentioning a book. I'd say his contributions are at least on par with Joe's.

Admit it - you are just upset because the publishers rejected your 11"x17" Vantage/Zeke's Boulders coffee-table book with the Haiku's and interperative essays, and you are taking it out on others. Even the add on multimedia feature which included the shirtless guy with the goatee doing the interpretive dance based on the base-of-the route pantomiming of the moves on Skip-Em-Or-Clip-Em wouldn't make them bite...

I'll have you know that my interpretive dancing multi media artwork is highly sought after. moon.gif

but I think there's a big difference between someone using the BB to get the word out about a small print-run guidebook that covers an area that cc.com users regulary climb in, and Norton logging onto the site to shill Sandy Hill Pittman's tell all expose

I no longer consider Supertopos a small company they´ve got 9 books in print right now, and are well distributed. Much better than JoJo´s. To each their own fruit.gif

ok, i will admit that the post was pretty commercial. i should have toned it down a bunch... which i will do next time.

as far as whether supertopo is a big or small company, ill let you decide:

- we have one employee (me)

- our "office" alternates between 3 coffee shops and 2 friends houses in south lake tahoe

- the owner (me) does not have a residence and currently couch surfs...

anyway, i appologize for spam-like post.

Oh yeah guide books are clearly the way to make bank. Shit man 9 guide books Chris must be sitting on the beach drinking a margarita and talking to his stock broaker. rolleyes.gif

Go fuck your pig Ak. Pretty soon you´ll be as old and bitter as Fairweather.

By pimping climbing he manages to get in more than the rest of us. That´s rich in my book.