Computer newbie question for other Dial-up folks

Jens

I debated which forum to put this in.

This question is for others that surf this website using a slow dial-up connection (like I do):

Has anyone found anything to tweak in the preferences or elsewhere to speed up viewing? I've tinkered with quite a few things but cc really seems slower. Or at least tons slower than a year ago. Can I disable the adds? Is there anyway I can get a preview bubble to give me the first 2 sentences of what a thread is about without loading the thread?

I don't get to read as many posts anymore because of speed issues.

Anyone have any tips? Anything at all to speed up viewing?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might sound like a broken record, but try this: www.opera.com

Disable images for faster browsing (press G), and the caching behaviour should also speed up your experience. Then right click and "Load image" for any pics you wanna see. thumbs_up.gif Check the Opera Support forums for more suggestions on speeding up dial-up performance.

Firefox might work too, I haven't tried it, but a lot of tests show opera to be the fastest browser.

Jens,

If you go into your user settings there are some options that you could play with to see if they help. One is to view in threaded if you aren't already. That will bring up only one post at a time. You can read it to see if the rest of the thread is worth downloading. There are also three radio buttons dealing with pictures and signatures which you might click to no to speed up your page loads.

If you live in a reasonably populated area, I bet a bigdrink.gifyou can plug a wireless NIC into your PC and scam off someone's wireless network. In residential Shoreline, there are four wireless networks besides our within reach of our house, and none (but ours) are secured.

I'm not advocating theft, particularly, but unless you're downloading movies, no one would notice.