Maybe moving to Medford or Eugene?

grumpyoldman

I am considering new jobs in Medford and Eugene. Anybody have any recommendations regarding one over the other? I gather that both are about the same distance to Smith (one of my favorite places in the world and the reason why I am considering a move to Oregon). It would seem that housing is a lot cheaper in Medford, right? What else should I be looking into? Thanks, all.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Medford would be the model example of uncontrolled and pointless growth in Oregon. I'd move to Medford for the Wal-Mart and lack of diversity (in jobs, ethnicity, thought, etc)... and for the meth.

Id move to Eugene for the progressive thought, organic food and non-stop rain... and for the pot.

I think Medford would be the model example of uncontrolled and pointless growth in Oregon. I'd move to Medford for the Wal-Mart and lack of diversity (in jobs, ethnicity, thought, etc)... and for the meth.

Id move to Eugene for the progressive thought, organic food and non-stop rain... and for the pot.

A bit stereotypical, but pretty much right on the button. I'd pick Eugene anyday, although it is a bit wetter. Medford is a fair bit drier, but summers in Medford can suck. I used to work outdoors all around SW Oregon for a few years, and lost a few gallons o' sweat from this little body of mine.

As for being 3 hrs from Medford to Smith... Dr. Flash, you must drive like, well, like a Flash! Definitely not 4.5 hrs, though, unless you hit construction or something.

Then again, why not just move to central Oregon? cool.gif

Well, the problem is I have to work. I might be able to get a work schedule that is 12 hours on and 12 hours off for seven days a week, but work every other week. Do you think it would be ridiculous to live in Bend or Redmond and on my work weeks keep a little apartment in Eugene?

I've only passed through Medford, so I cannot speak for it.

I have lived in Eugene for six and a half years now. I love it; although, it does have its share of drawbacks.

1) Cost of living is high - Housing prices and rent are especially inflated downtown and around campus.

2) The weather - This year's fall and winter were mild, but it's not always that way. The rain can begin in September and last until May. There are nice breaks in between though.

3) Job Market - Depending on what you do, the market can be tight. Plus, many employers can be stingy about what they pay. Although the job market is probably better in Eugene than Medford.

4) Ethnic diversity - there isn't a lot of ethnic diversity here. However, there is a lot of cultural diversity among caucasians. It's a nice, hip, somewhat progressive town.

Benefits

1) Traffic - There is traffic here, but it is NOTHING like it is in other areas. Eugeneans are lucky (and some don't know it).

2) Climbing - There is climbing surrounding Eugene, but you're going to have to drive there. Flagstone is about an 1.5 hrs away, Smith 2.5 hrs away, the Callahans in Roseburg are about 2hrs plus, then there are the "secret" trad areas around Westfir and Oakridge - about an hr away. Hood is about 3 hours away, North Cascades are 10 hours away, etc. etc.

However, we do have "The Columns" that are just downtown at Skinner Butte!!!

3) Food and Beer - There are some great restaurants in this town, and there are some great microbrews. Check out the McMenamins on High Street. There are some great coffeehouses too - check out Theo's at the Strand.

4) People - Eugene is a pretty cool hip little place, and there are a lot of interesting people here.

5) Bike friendly - there is an extensive network of bike trails and bike lanes are everywhere.

6) There's plenty of whitewater - if you're into that.

7) Great rivers and lakes for kayak touring if you're into that. Plus there is great flyfishing here.

8) Skiing and snowboarding - Hoodo and Willamette Pass are 1.5 hrs away, and Mt. Bachelor is 3 hrs away (my favorite).

9) We have an EXCELLENT gear shop in town, (Backcountry Gear), but you'll have to go to PDX or Seattle for a better selection of mountaineering boots or climbing shoes.

10) The Coast is about an hour away, PDX is about 2 hrs away, Seattle is 5 hrs away, and San Fran is about 8 hrs away.

Overall Eugene is the perfect size. It's a great place to live. Sure, it's not as cool as Bishop or Mazama, but there's plenty to do and climbing is within a reasonable drive.

If you decide to move here, let me know, and I'll be glad to fill you in with more details on Eugene.

After stumbling on this thread I see it as my civic duty to stop you before you make a terrible mistake.

Take it from someone who grew up in the "The Terd". It is a god forsaken armpit of a town that, given the choice, no one in their right mind would move to (unless you're planning on starting a large scale methamphetamine manufacturing operation or enjoy 100 degree heat in the summer surrounded by mobile homes and strip malls). Take it from me and stay far away.

Well, now that we have heard from the Eugene side of things, how about Medford? Anybody have anything positive to say about it? Not that I think it is better in any way, but I mean, if you were the town of Medford and you read this post, wouldn't you get Eugene envy? Okay, here are some positive aspects of Medford.

1. It has running water, at least most of the time.

2. Very close to I-5 which makes it only 15 hours to Mexico... that's about 2 hours faster than from Eugene.

3. Apparently there is a Meth problem there, which sometimes makes for funny stories in the paper. Those meth heads always are doing the strangest things!

4. When your driving gets "a bit squirrelly" you don't have to worry about running into crazy bike riding population, which makes them mad.

See? Medford isn't all that bad. cheeburga_ron.gif

Well, the problem is I have to work. I might be able to get a work schedule that is 12 hours on and 12 hours off for seven days a week, but work every other week. Do you think it would be ridiculous to live in Bend or Redmond and on my work weeks keep a little apartment in Eugene?

Sorry, didn't mean to bring up that point.

I would find it a bit tiresome (and expensive) maintaining two residences, but I guess it would depend on how well you liked Bend compared to Eugene, if you have a family, etc. Seems like it would make more sense to live where you work and take road trips to central Oregon. Heck, you wouldn't even need to get a place here, you could just camp at the grasslands! Or pay $4 a night and get free showers at the bivouac site...

Ok ok I admit methford sucks however it is near ashland which is a cool town has hippies and organic food just like eugene... it is close to rattlesnake,greensprings, emmigrant lake, the rouge, mt ashland 1 1/2 hours from shasta 1 1/2 from castle crags.. has the rouge river... only 3 hours from bend and smith.... so if not medford go to talent or phoenix more affordable less medfordites to deal with but southern oregon is not so bad if you end up down there pm and they are right don't live in medford but there are other cool places to live

From a local (Matt Lambert) of Medford/Ashland area...

"The Rogue Valley is an awesome place to live, if you are too liberal or yuppy/hippee/trendy/touristy for Medford you can allways move into Ashland, which is very similar to towns like Leaveworth, Monroe or North Bend, you know...artsy fartsy with good lattes on every corner. I have lived in many great towns all over the country and personally I think you can't beat the Medford/Ashland area. Especialy if you like to go skiing, rock climbing, Mt. Biking and kayaking in the same day in the middle of February.

We are opening a new climbing gym in Medford which is going to be awesome, plus the local climbing ain't shabby....as good as anything within 1hr of Seattle or San Fran, IMHO. Smith is 3.5 hours easy and Yosemite is 7.5 flat with one gas-up stop.

Here is the site for our new gum opening in July. It is going to be as good as anything in Seattle, only a bit smaller and more suitable to this community.

PUSH fruit.gif for more INFO

As a native Oregonian (and evan as one that grew up in the Eugene-Sprinfield area) I must agree with RuMR. Southwestern Oregon is way cool. I have lived all over oregon from the coast the way east side, and even John Day. You get what you make of it in any small oregon town. There are cool people and places to go climbing and do othe stuff all over Oregon. Only one disagreement, Ashland is way better than Monroe, North Bend ore Leavenworth. There is nothing artsy fartsy about any of those places. I don't believe you can catch shakespear in Monroe (maybe a disease from a convict or an ass rape by a molestor). Although they do have a better movie theater than Everett!

The only problem with Ashland is that it is rapidly getting frightfully expensive to live there, and many people are getting priced out of town as obscenely wealthy Californians snap up property, paying cash for half-million dollar homes and then doubling their value with full renovations of same (which are often no more than vacation homes for these folks). The influx of serious dough is definitely changing the character of the town, as a lot of the more fun/crusty elements and younger people with kids are forced out. They've already closed two out of the five elementary schools in town because there aren't enough kids to fill them.

Definatly Eugene. I lived there for several years and it is a great little town. Tyler obviously did not get out much climbing in Eugene, but there is lots of climbing very very close to Eugene. It is all on private property, and at least a couple of the craigs can be seen from major roads, but if you want to find them you will have to figure it out.

Dr. Flash is right again. I have a freind the grew up in Ashland, went to college, became a professional and moved back to teach. He and his wife couldn't afford a place in Ashland so they had to move to talent and commute. You shouldn't have to commute in a town the size of Ashland. However, Dr. Flash, my understanding is that a lot of the Californians moving in are retirees not 2nd home buyers.

However, Dr. Flash, my understanding is that a lot of the Californians moving in are retirees not 2nd home buyers.

That's true, most of them are, although just down the road from the Doctor's ex-stepfather's house, some particularly wealthy specimens plunked down a cool 400k cash for a home, did an extensive addition/remodel on it, parked a couple Range Rovers in the garage, and used it for a vacation home. Likewise, just next door to DFA's dad's house is another, more modest, but still quite stylie vacation pad (with pool, natch). Perhaps the financially well-endowed are simply drawn to Dr. Flash Amazing, looking to pick up style points?

Tyler obviously did not get out much climbing in Eugene, but there is lots of climbing very very close to Eugene. It is all on private property, and at least a couple of the craigs can be seen from major roads, but if you want to find them you will have to figure it out.

Aw yes, all the crags on private property... I used to climb A LOT more than I do now, but I prefer to go to Flagstone, the columns, or Smith. I was never cool enough and never knew the right people to get to visit the areas on private property.

If you ever want details on any of these crags, let one of us know. There's some information on this website.

Enjoy!

Tyler