Running pro for teams of 3 or more

n00b

My buddies and I are planning on doing the Kautz glacier route later this spring and it looks like it will be a team of three or four. I have never placed running pro with a team of more than two. Is there a favored or correct method for the middle man to clip past the anchor? I can think of two obvious choices, one being to use three 'biners on the anchor and clip one behind befor unclipping the first one. The second is the sketchy, unclip the 'biner and reclip it behind you. It is probably not that bad, but I think I like the three 'biner solution better. I expect that there is some slick trick that everyone else already knows, but I can't find it in FOTH or with google.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always clipped past with one biner as you described. There is a way to twist the rope as you are unclipping that will clip the rear part of the rope in as you go by. It would be near impossible to describe without showing you.

One way to reduce the sketch factor is to have 2 pieces clipped into the rope at any one time. That means more pro.

No, it's not that bad/dangerous for a middle-man (or middle-men) to clip through an intermediate piece. It's more a pain in the arse than dangerous. If you're really slow, yes there is a moment spent unprotected as a middle-man by that piece. But there should be other pieces in anyway (if allowable). And if it's so steep that fall potential is increased then maybe that terrain should be belayed from a standard anchor anyway. Albeit, this is not always practical.

And yes, there is a slick way to clip through quickly almost without breaking stride. It takes a few times to figure out. Easier shown than described in words but...

It involves taking up both the trailing strand (the one going to the end/last-man) and the leading strand (the one going to the leader/man-ahead) in one hand at where the strands leave the area of your gear loop (i.e., right in front of you where they are knotted into your harness). With both strands in your palm, the idea is to bend at the wrist so as to create a bend in the lead strand while the trailing strand stays straight as they leave your fingertips. Then, simply clip both strands through the piece's biner simultaneously. The lead strand will form a small bite once through the gate and pull out of the biner. The trailing strand will then simply be running through the biner after it gets clipped through the gate.

I'm sure there's a diagram out there somewhere. Anyone?

Thanks guys. I think that I have the visual on the method you described klenke. That makes good sense.

We may have more than one peice at some times, but I expect that there will be times when we only have one. I don't expect it to get to the point where we would need to pitch it out. If so we need to do another route to get more comfortable because that would be really slow and that would be more dangerous than clipping past the pro ever would be. cool.gif

Cool photo, but I call BS - the thread and the question as I interpret it has to do with a running belay (simul-climbing) situation, and the photo you sent (though excitingly run-out) seems to be a belayed pitch, with a potentially different set of results should one of the followers fall . . . . am I accurate about that?

Where is the photo taken??? Looks magnificent. thumbs_up.gif

True. When the photo was taken the followers were on belay. However, before I built the belay (consisting of both of my ice tools and stubby)we had been simul-climbing like that with a screw in between us for 20 or 30 meters.

Very stupid. That was my first climb in Alaksa and I underestimated the sustained nature and scale of shit there.

Yeah, I did some similar "run out" simulclimbing on Triple Couloirs for awhile before establish a good belay (piton, Camalot, and ice tool all equalized with a cordellette.)

I was "vibracious" during the simulclimbing but felt very happy with the integrity of the anchor itself, once I got there.

Exciting stuff -- not ideal, but hey, you do the best you can in the situation that you're in.

• 1 month later...

SMR plucked a pair of bodies out of the Triple Couloirs route a few years back. The cause was determined to be a follower fall followed by the leader's ice tool anchor belay failure. I find that images like that are a nice way to help remember to save your last screws for an anchor. Using them to back up a screw is a different matter, although it's probably unlikely to have anything other than psychological value...

-t

For every example there is a counter example... several years ago in the Rockies two hardmen were climbing Grand Central Couloir, the leader fell off the crux, stripped his gear and Factor-2ed on the anchor... both shitty screws pulled out of the belay as did one of the belayers two tools, the other tool held both climbers. After resetablishing the belay they finished the route. You can read the account in the CAJ.

Black Diamond did a very subjective test a few years ago that concluded pretty positively that ice axes and ice hooks failed each and every time on dynamic falls. I think I would use the one-screw-both-tools anchor only for belaying the second up, and then sink another screw in for leading the next pitch.

How about saving one screw for a V-thread anchor instead? Especially if the descent is to rap the route. Even if its not, you could build a V-thread anchor in 5 minutes if you had planned in advance, no?

FWIW, I'll bet if you contacted a dozen ice tool manufacturers and a dozen rescue organizations you'd get two dozen recommendations not to use your tools for anchors.

-t

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you've got some outdoor retail experience or maybe completed a NOLSE course or two. What windshirt do you think is best?

hahaha.gif

FWIW: DAMN fukin research studies on ICE is a bunch of hand waving to get you to buy more gear. whatever it takes to build a belay and get to the ground safely again is what it takes...

Gosh I wish ice tools were still designed like hummingbirds, then less people would be out there trying to kill themselves. bigdrink.gif