Skisports

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

I hate leashes. They just get in the way for me. The diamirs look beefy and gung ho (my style) but I dont own them. Mikeadam has a set and cruises the snow well on them. I am jealous
[Wazzup]
Not sure which ones he has but bet he has good thoughts....

I know they both ride well I have used the Titanal but if I ski hard and work on Precision with skis between cliffs I want no slop in the binding which can translate to inches on the skis.

[ 11-18-2002, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Skisports ]

on the leashes I'm wishywashy, but I like to have my skis near me when I yard sale on something steeper, rather than climbing the hill to fetch a ski. I feel better on steep stuff when I'm de-skinning and stuff to be attached to the ski when I'm fiddling w/ bindings too. I've seen ski brakes not work too, leaving guys to butt surf a good run! Also in heavy powder I don't like using powder cords. If you use a thin enough cord attachment, it should break in an avalanche. Just some things, but I could be convinced either way

-Iain

I was talking to a shop guy and apparently the principle differences are that the Freeride doesn't have a return spring (which are available for like $10) and comes with the brakes. The price of the Titanal III with brakes is pretty darn near that of the Freeride, and it wouldn't suprise me if the weight isn't that far off too. BD is speculating that the Freeride will likely outsell the Titanal III.

By the way, the brakes, while they add a smidgeon of weight, are really nice to have. Not necessarily to stop a released ski, but to keep the ski in place when you set them down or want to put them on. Only time I use brakes with the Diamir II is when the terrain is so steep or above cliffs such that losing a ski might mean walking home.

if you are skiing a lot of backcountry and therefore deep powder brakes can be a bad idea. you can loose (i.e. not find again) a ski in deep pow. it has happened to two people i know.

my $.02

p.s. - at rainy pass yesterday.

[ 11-18-2002, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: gregm ]

doesn't the ski patrol keep some skis at meadows for just that reason over by heather canyon? [laf] which brings up a time when it is nice to have tele or silvretta 500 style bindings, trying to engage a step-in in deep powder can be a pain the ass. but then again I never crash so I wouldn't know! [laf][geek]

quote:

Originally posted by mtnnut:

I was talking to a shop guy and apparently the principle differences are that the Freeride doesn't have a return spring (which are available for like $10) and comes with the brakes.

The freerides also have a max DIN of 12 as opposed to 10.

Interesting about the spring though. A lot of my friends have taken the spring out of their Diamirs...

quote:

The price of the Titanal III with brakes is pretty darn near that of the Freeride, and it wouldn't suprise me if the weight isn't that far off too.

From BD Freeride=2.11kg, Diamir w/ std brake =2.0kg. Difference=.11kg=about 1/4lb.

I don't think any of this is answering the original questions.

when it comes down to it price dosen't matter because if this stuff breaks in the BC you are screwed and I don't bring an extra binding unless I am on a long tour.

I tele most of the time but I am better alpine skier then tele. There are the pro's and cons to both tele an alpine. the Break to me is worthless. They don't work very well and the place I am going to be using these binding are going to be a place where I don't want my ski to come off in the first place.

So dose anyone have any idea how much slop is in the bindings.... and how easy they break??????????

From A website

"Fritschi have developed the Diamir Freeride for those skiers wanting an even stronger more downhill orientated binding. Weighing slightly more at 2100 g with integrated brakes, the Freeride has a lift of 39 mm above the ski, a reinforced toepiece and release settings from 4-12 front and back. We recommend the Freeride for heavier skiers who will be skiing jumps and cliffs, or spending most time resort skiing with occasional touring.."

I'm not rando skier myself, but can help clear up some basic differences, and options:

Fritschi Freeride, and Fritschi Diamir 3: virtually the same binding. In the freeride Freeride, a bit more toepiece heigth adjustment, the DIN setting to 12, the lack of return spring, and standard brakes. A slightly burlier rail (mfg says) and a slightly higher integrated riser setup.

Brakes can be left off of you want to use powder straps (way better than leashes for BackCountry powpow; tuck them up in your gaiters or pants cuff w/ rubberband)

Also, if you're going to think about using this rando setup with your climbing boots, go with the Silvretta 500.

And for the Dynafit user out there salivating for the new Scarpa F1 as a lightweight touring boot, DON'T DO IT. That is a Randonee Racing boot for the Rando skier who already has a dynafit boot and wants a second boot for the two races (or twenty if you're a EU citizen) they're goint to do- it's flexible bellows makes the F1 a flexible boot, and in the dynafit system.....

Howdy.

I have had Freerides mounted on 10.EXs since early last season. Absolutely frikkin love them. Ski them AT with Denalis mostly, but readjust for my alpine boots and rip em inbounds sometime as well. No slop whatsoever (if adjusted correctly), although on hardpack, they don't transfer edge power quite as well as an alpine binder (although that is also likely a function of pushing the 10.EXs, which are stiff but light, causing a little chatter at speed on hardpack).

In short, these puppies are as close as you get right now to an alpine binder with a releasable/touring heel, barring of course Alpine Trekkers, etc.

I know of people who have dropped small cliffs in them with no problem, and I've skied a few solid bump lines on them myself with no ill effects (although I wouldn't choose to do so in the future).

For lots more testimonials, check out:

Diamir Freeride owners please reply at the Powdermag.com message board,

but don't venture far from that thread, cause the natives are very restless there, trust me. [Wink] If you do happen to want to read a bit on that board (or, gasp, even chime in - oh lordy, the cross-pollination is gonna freak me out), go find the Welcome Wagon in the CHATTER forum, and start there. It may ease the pain of popping that cherry, which can be quite significant for most. It's much more mature here (believe it or not [big Grin] ).

Best,

cletus

ps. yes, brakes can be removed.

[ 11-18-2002, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Cletus ]

Skipuss.

I can read too. I think it is fairly obvious that we can all read here. Hence all these letters in the posts. But where in this...

quote:

Any takers on which one is better, for strength vrs weight. ect????

or this...

quote:

I know they both ride well I have used the Titanal but if I ski hard and work on Precision with skis between cliffs I want no slop in the binding which can translate to inches on the skis.

or this...

quote:

So dose anyone have any idea how much slop is in the bindings.... and how easy they break??????????

doe it say this...

quote:

No offence I can read too. I have done as much research on them as the average Joe. I am looking at people who have skied them or have some familiarity with them in the BC in tense spots.

I thought what I got off the site had something to do with your strength vs. weight issue. If your going to be a tight prick, at least explain yourself better. Anyways sorry.

Snowsnobs [Roll Eyes]

No worries, It just no body has anwsered my Q's I was trying to refer to everyone because people post were explaining that leashes suck no breaks suck ect. I just want to know these bindings better comphese untill recently some good posts were presented on the bindings.

Cletus, do you know how the titanal compares is it much diffrent ???