• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"D=Black Tusk" = Gunn

F = Merchant

C = The thing at the head of Bitter Creek that screams "Ski Me" until you get a view of the unskiable cliffs, brush and crap below it.

A&B are points on Jumpoff Ridge above Tom, Dick, and Harry Lakes I'm prettty sure...although A could be Spire, a little further east.......I'll peek here in a little bit

E & G don't have names except colloquial ones. E is kind of on the way to Gunn and G is a subsidiary summit of Merchant

H has me intrigued a little bit; it's East of the head of Barclay Creek and probably on the other side of the Beckler.

Definitive answer...

FIRST PICTURE

A --> Jumpoff Ridge, Pt. 5280+

B --> Jumpoff Ridge, Pt. 5360+

C --> "Gunnshy" (Pk 6218)

D --> Gunn Peak

E --> Pk 5842

F --> Merchant Peak (main summit)

G --> Merchant Peak, SW Summit

H --> Eagle Rock

I --> Mt. Baring

SECOND PICTURE

Not the clearest shot to work with so some of these answers will be approximate.

L --> The massif is that of "Ten-Four Mountain" (Pk 4384)

A --> Mt. Index massif

B --> Gunn-Merchant-Baring massif

C --> Frozen Mountain

D --> Tolt-N. Fk Snoqualmie Divide (~4,400 ft)

E --> Red Mountain (5,447 ft)

F --> Not clear enough to tell; something in this area near Mt. Cleveland

G --> Mt. Phelps (mislabeled and misspelled as McCLain Peaks on the map)

H --> Little Phelps to me (and Beckey for what that's worth); McLain Peak (note spelling) to Roper (see here); Pk 5162 either way

I --> Not clear enough to see (there's nothing significant there anyway)

J --> Lennox Mountain (or vicinity thereof)

K --> "Canoe Peak" (Pk 5706) with Bare Mtn in front

Sorry, I didn't pan right far enough on first picture. Yes, "I" --> Baring.

In second picture, "I" is neither Bonanza nor Big Snowy. However, Stuart lines up correctly. But I doubt it is Stuart. Besides, you can't even see whatever "I" is in the pic, so why even conjecture?

However, Stuart lines up correctly. But I doubt it is Stuart. Besides, you can't even see whatever "I" is in the pic, so why even conjecture?

Duh, you cant see it in the picture ,but dont you think I may have seen it in a location before on clear days???

I have a friend who insists Stuart is visible and I have seen a big peak before way back in the range. Look for it on the next clear day,

945Frozen_to_Paperboy_anno.jpg

Nice work Klenke.

So the dip just north of Mt. Phelps ("F" in my second pic) is the South Fork of Tolt River?

According to my topo program, McClain Pk is North of Phelps. Maybe you have those two backwards?*

*edit: Duh. I should have read your note about Phelps being mislabelled on maps.

Edited by Alpinfox

Pax, the valley that is "F" is the South Fork Tolt River on this side (west of the 3,000-ft pass there

between Phelps and Red) and Money Creek on the other side (east of the pass).

Money Creek drains to the South Fork Skykomish.

Regarding the mislabeling, Roper treats it well in the above link to his website.

~~~~~~~~~~

Well, here is 8 hours of work today to complete these annotations.

I've been sitting on them for 10 months. Just needed someone to kick me in the ass. Thanks, Matt!

Full Panorama (resolution limitations):

945Front_Range_fr_Seattle_anno-med.jpg

NE (Mt. Ditney) to ENE (Ten-Four Massif):

945Ditney_to_4240_anno-med.jpg

ENE (Morning Star Peak) to East (Big Kid):

945Morning_Star_to_Big_Kid_anno-med.jpg

East (Frozen Mountain) to SE (Bandera Mountain):

945Frozen_to_Bandera_anno-med.jpg

Wow, that's awesome man. Someone will have to copy the annotations some day if we can get a super super clear day photo at very high res.

Klenke, I'm sure you've done put I haev a pretty high res photo of the olympics from the 140th street overpass in Bellevue with the seattle skyline in the foreground. Let me know if you have any interest in it.

-josh

Sure, send the Olympics pano pic to me (via email) and I'll see if I can make use of it.

My Front Range pano is just one of many perspectives possible from the Seattle metropolitan area (from the Space Needle, for instance).

Pax's above is slightly different.

In fact, you can see where he took his shot (the UW Medical Center building--or near to it--labeled in the middle image).

Some peaks I was surprised were visible from my Queen Anne vantage:

Helena Peak (considering that its 5 miles ESE of Three Fingers)

Bushwhack Peak (east summit point is visible, Nine Lives Peak may be obscuring the main summit)

Mt. Baring (all three of its summits through a convenient gap up the North Fork Tolt River drainage)

Mt. Garfield (just the top of it)

Chimney Rock (took me a while to convince myself)

Note that peaks like Bandera will be more visible from other vantages. Capitol Hill gets in the way.