Yashica T4 Super vs. Olympus Sylus Epic

Colin

I decided that I finally want to upgrade from my Minox 35GL to a P&S with auto film winding and auto focus.

I have narrowed it down to the Yashica T4 Super D (no longer available, but can find it used) and the Olympus Infinity Stylus Epic.

Have any of you used either of both of these cameras? The general sense I have is that the Epic will take better shots in low-light, (2.8 speed lens, verse 3.5 on the T4) but that the Zeiss lens on the T4 will otherwise provide better contrast and color.

Input?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used an Olympus Stylus a ton back in the olden days of film. After using my stone mallot to open the case, I always found the film easy to load, provided I stretched the rabbit tendon just right. Those little cameras are pretty robust too, I had one fly off the roof of my antelope at about 20mph and hit the deck. I taped up the cracked parts with paste of pinetree and it worked great for several more moons. I'm unfamiliar what the differences are between mine and the 'Epic' version, but mine performed decently under lower light with 100 speed slide film (usually Provia). Here's a low light example taken with my old stylus of GrogcadeClimber hunting for brownies:

loren_icybc1_2.jpg

Also, from the T4s I've seen, they appear to be significantly larger than the styluses. Color and contrast in reasonable lighting with the Olympus was great given the limitations of P&S lenses..

I have a Yashica T4 SuperD.

I have been jealous of the smallness of the Epics for sure.

I have never been dissapointed by the photo quality of the Yashica. Even shooting slide film in tricky conditions (ie snow, into the sun...) it usually nails the exposure.

It's pretty tough.

• 2 months later...

My Stylus Epic has the benifit of a 2.8 lens. I'm not sure how fast the lens is on the T4. This part I really like. It is very robust and does stumble from time to time. All in all a very compact and easy to use point and shoot that takes great pictures. I like to use slower film so the faster lens really helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a T4 until I dropped it off the top of Teewinot and replaced it with an Epic. I've had very good luck with the Epic and slide film--lately I've been using Provia 400. My only complaint with it is that you can't make it default to fill-flash, and the little button you need to set it up is fiddly with gloves on.

The Yashica T4...no doubt about it. Better glass. However, I don't believe that either of these cameras have exposure compensation, so you're likely to have dark slides if you shoot in afternoon or on snow. I think they both have spot metering capability, so you may be able to "trick" the camera by metering off a neutral card or similar object.

I've pretty much abandoned film all together. I carry a 5mp Casio that weighs 4 ounces, and I can see if the pic turned out then and there. If its no good, retake.

For a trip I really want well documented, I'll still take both my Casio and my favorite P&S film camera....The Ricoh GR1. If you can still find one....BUY IT!

The Yashica T4...no doubt about it. Better glass. However, I don't believe that either of these cameras have exposure compensation, so you're likely to have dark slides if you shoot in afternoon or on snow.

I use to use an Epic regularly. If close up focus was not a concern (which it generally isn't) I would set it to it's "spot" meter setting then meter off the blue sky directly opposite the sun with a half push of the button. This seemed to work pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...

Recommend the Yashica T4 Super or Zoom. Stylus is good for sure. I bought the Yashica to replace my girlfriends Stylus camera. Stylus has a faster lens, but you can make up for this in the Yashica by just using a 400 speed film. The lens in the Yashica is sharper than the Styus lens, as it uses a Carl-Ziess lens. The Yashica has exposure compensation as well (good for snow photographs). My scanned photos with the Yashica start to come close to those taken with my Leica. Good luck.

fruit.gif

i've broken a couple sTylus's, but they were good camera's and i don't really baby electronics. part of my problem with all those oly stylus designs is the darn sliding cover/turn on mechanism, which easily happens shoving into a pants cargo pocket or tight pack if you have it oriented the 'wrong' way. those tight pockets have a knack with preventing that lense to pop out, so you get a pretty irritated camera - especially if you didn't notice it happening.

of course, diligence can prevent this, but nonetheless it can still happen during transit, even if you pack it carefully - especially in a pants cargo pocket (i'm not one to handle the bulk and time with cases on trips). i don't think they are good for climbing as a snap and stash camera. i heard pentax has a good reputation for handling abuse, btw. other than that, i was quite pleased with their performance (and a kick ass zoom), but i've sent 2 to their graves.

I've used the Epic on numerous backcountry trips and used to carry it with me everywhere until I switched to digital. The nice thing about it, besides that it takes very sharp pictures, is that at $79, you won't feel too bad if you lose it in the drink, or drop it off some ledge. The T4 is a great camera, but now that they're at a premium, I'd go with the Stylus. You won't be disappointed with either, though.