Hardman Checklist

texplorer

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Becky was a hardman. Hasn't he put up some 5.10 routes or did he aid those? I think the ultimate hardman challenge has to be something in the pickets. If your going to use modern gear then it has to be in winter. If your going to use army surplus gear and wear wool, you can be hard like becky and do it in summer.

I heard a rumor that the Tooth may go free, but be careful--Cavey jealously gaurds his project and will rain insults and boulders down upon any hardman foolish enough to attempt to scoop him.

But seriously, if you want a challenge, how bout trying to onsight all the cracks on midnight rock in a day?

[ 11-18-2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Uncle Tricky ]

I think there are hardmen test pieces that are doable and get done once or twice a year, maybe more. Then I think there is a catagory of hardmen climbs all on there own that get barely ever get repeated.

[ 11-18-2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: TimL ]

DFA, I think it does have to be an alpine route. Smith does have some seriously hard sport stuff, but its not quintessential NW, which historically speaking must involve more fear and suffering.

Some of the suggested unrepeated routes might meet the requirements, but I almost think the measure is one of volume rather than difficulty. Technical routes, sure, but lots of them over time. Repeating NF of Inspiration might make you a one hit wonder, but it wouldn't put you at the same level as Beckey, Doorish, or those darn Skoogs. I think its a certain boneheaded insistence in the face of all the obstacles the mountains of the NW have to offer. One things for sure though, if you care about about being a NW hardman, you're probably automatically disqualified.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

DFA, I think it does have to be an alpine route. Smith does have some seriously hard sport stuff, but its not quintessential NW, which historically speaking must involve more fear and suffering.

OK ... Vicious Fish. In July, midday, in an 8000 meter suit, wool mittens, a swim cap, snowshoes, and only pitons for pro, belayed by the first available tourist from the parking lot.

That should up the fear and suffering quotient to acceptable levels, yes?

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

One things for sure though, if you care about about being a NW hardman, you're probably automatically disqualified.

Bingo.
[smile][sNAFFLEHOUND]
I think Tex is less looking for any kind of noteriety, and more looking for a challeging peice to challenge himself on. Something to train for work twords and lookforword to.

sk

1) Yellow Bird with nuts only and in hiking boots

2) Russian routes on Inspiration and Bonanza

3) Nooksack Ridge traverse from tower to Shuksan

4) Navigator Wall, Slesse

5) Eve Dearborn Memorial

6) Drury Falls

7) tele ski descent of NF Shuksan

quote:

Originally posted by Jens:

I would have to agree with Dr.Ben Krazy.

The route would include

steep snow

ice

aid

mixed

skiing

free rock

And you'd get Brownie points for chopping a swimming hole in Lake Serene and taking a skiiny dip.

i think hardman route status should include hellish approach factors; serious bushwacking, be it long or vertical. the pickets come to mind.

has anyone mentioned nooksack tower yet?

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

what other climbs I have to check off before I can call myself a true NW Hardman.

Oh, to be "a true NW Hardman" you'll actually have to blow off the whole NW scene, diss the area and the local climbers, and move to Chamonix. Littering GU packets while climbing is also required.

quote:

Originally posted by gregm:

quote:

Originally posted by Jens:

I would have to agree with Dr.Ben Krazy.

The route would include

steep snow

ice

aid

mixed

skiing

free rock

And you'd get Brownie points for chopping a swimming hole in Lake Serene and taking a skiiny dip.

i think hardman route status should include hellish approach factors; serious bushwacking, be it long or vertical. the pickets come to mind.

has anyone mentioned nooksack tower yet?

Alpine climbing seems to be so the "in" thing on this funny site. And its not that I almost always prefer climbing in the mountains to climbing at the crags, but I think crag pitches should be included. Even bolted crag pitches. I would by far consider some of the harder Index pitches to be hardman test pieces. I would also think that some of the hard bolted pitches at Smith to be hard man routes.