Hardman Checklist

texplorer

I am looking for a new 'project' climb. So I was wondering what other climbs I have to check off before I can call myself a true NW Hardman. So if you had to name one route, be it alpine sufferfests, big mountain slogs, or a roadside crag pitch, what ONE climb would you say is quintessentially a route that only the hardest of the hard would or could do.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not another hardman list. This is like the dare a few months ago for climbing colonial, graybeard, etc [Roll Eyes][laf]

Are you expecting a trophy after you climb it? Perhaps a gold guy with an alpenstock instead of the gold bowling guy like the summer league champions get... [laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

DFA, I think it does have to be an alpine route. Smith does have some seriously hard sport stuff, but its not quintessential NW, which historically speaking must involve more fear and suffering.

OK ... Vicious Fish. In July, midday, in an 8000 meter suit, wool mittens, a swim cap, snowshoes, and only pitons for pro, belayed by the first available tourist from the parking lot.

or the inverse...the Index peaks traverse wearing lycra, a muscle tee and bouldering slippers with only draws and a 9.5 for pro while being belayed by your non-climbing girlfriend during a raging late winter squall.

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

DFA, I think it does have to be an alpine route. Smith does have some seriously hard sport stuff, but its not quintessential NW, which historically speaking must involve more fear and suffering.

OK ... Vicious Fish. In July, midday, in an 8000 meter suit, wool mittens, a swim cap, snowshoes, and only pitons for pro, belayed by the first available tourist from the parking lot.

or the inverse...the Index peaks traverse wearing lycra, a muscle tee and bouldering slippers with only draws and a 9.5 for pro while being belayed by your non-climbing girlfriend during a raging late winter squall.

[laf]

I wanna do that Central Coulior on Mt. Joffre up there in the british columbia and that other route on Joffre that's 10d. Not hardman climbs but they look fun as shit.

Oh yeah, I went to J-Tree this last weekend, it was 70degrees and sunny. And you guys in Seattle got rained on. Ha.

[ 11-18-2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: specialed ]

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:

I am looking for a new 'project' climb. So I was wondering what other climbs I have to check off before I can call myself a true NW Hardman. So if you had to name one route, be it alpine sufferfests, big mountain slogs, or a roadside crag pitch, what ONE climb would you say is quintessentially a route that only the hardest of the hard would or could do.

The conclusion of my exaustive research on this matter is:

Winter ascent of Mt. Index (solo) via the N. Norwegian Buttress followed by a ski descent of the route, solo.

If your schpincter ever functions normally again, you would certainly have "hardman" status.

quote:

Originally posted by specialed:

I wanna do that Central Coulior on Mt. Joffre up there in the british columbia and that other route on Joffre that's 10d. Not hardman climbs but they look fun as shit.

Oh yeah, I went to J-Tree this last weekend, it was 70degrees and sunny. And you guys in Seattle got rained on. Ha.

Off Topic;

I'll be there next week ohhhh yeah.

On Topic:

These are ones I want to do sometime before I'm thirty, I'm sure there's a bunch more that aren't as well known, but I'm not old skool enough and can't remember route names for shit.

Graybeard NF

Coolnial, Watusi Rodeo or any other NF route

Snoqualmie, NY Gully

Big 4, Spindrift Couloir

I wonder what a winter ascent of Dorado needle would be like? I would like to do some winter exploring back in the eldorado area when I can ski/board car to car.

Winter ascent of Mt. Index (solo) via the N. Norwegian Buttress followed by a ski descent of the route, solo.

If your schpincter ever functions normally again, you would certainly have "hardman" status.[/QB]

I will leave the hardman stuff to tex... I just want to climb and have fun.

Jens has a good point about taking that little dip in the lake. I was concidering do the route until taking the dip was part of the criteria.