Outside magazine "Babes on Belay"

Kitergal

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is liberation trying to prove what a man can do?

Isn't liberation just being free? If you are trying to proving something to someone, you are a prisoner to to them. Maybe flaunting women on these magazine covers is the man saying we are still in control, or trying to retain it. sex sells too, in any format. Take a feminist mag, put hot chicks on it, and it will sell 2x as much.

I think many men and women climb to prove something. But, after falling a few times and dealing with exposure, those ones usually go back to the gym or stop altogether, unless they are trying to prove something to themselves. An we are all prisoners to ourselves.

WORD.

sex sells too, in any format. Take a feminist mag, put hot chicks on it, and it will sell 2x as much.

So true. Look at any of the feminist lifestyle magazines. Hot chicks everywhere.

shouldn't ho chick photos be in men's magazine?

no hot chicks are just more appealing universally than hot guys. more hot chicks thumbs_up.gif

There are probably alot of women who will be inspired by this article, and rightly so. Outside magazine seems to have had alot of good stuff going on lately, maybe I'll actually buy one.

i'm sure the cover was just the "good stuff" they were hoping would sell more issues. i found the article lame. and the cover had nothing to do with climbing. women have been climbing for years ... and taking road trips to climb ... without needing three other women with them to do it. yellowsleep.gif

In other words, what's so special about women climbers? Women have proved themselves capable of climbing well for as long as climbing's been around.

I've always liked the picture on page 25 of the Mounties' Climber's Guide to the Olympic Mountains. It shows what appear to be a coupla ladies standing next to the Blue Glacier. Caption just says "The Blue Glacier -- a long time ago." You can't see them that well, but from their silhouettes they look vaguely like flappers. Ahh .. the 1920s musta been fun, for wild wimmin and for men who thought the world needed more wild wimmin. tongue.gif

Some of you climber ladies may think you're in such big demand, cuz there's so few of you, and so many single climber guys .... but just imagine if you'd been a climber back then!!

thumbs_up.gifhahaha.giffruit.gifsmileysex5.gifrockband.gif

Outside mag is lame.

I quit reading Outside years ago when I noticed that all the photos of climbers, hikers, backpackers, showed these well-groomed models without a wrinkle or dirty spot in their clothes, shiny clean faces, and not a hair out of place! cantfocus.gif

John Long, on SuperTopo, had this to say about Outside Mag:

The thing that makes Outside less than real is that the articles are often from an "outside" perspective that reframes the raw feeling of the thing into an official line built on idealized, and utterly imagined, values and sentiments. The stuff rarely feels authentic and sincere to me, rather canned and so fiendishly edited that the diction and phrasing and style seems largely the same, story to story. They also rarely take any risks, so the material takes on an almost imprsonal aspect, like bland journalism. Rather than focus on the actual lived experiences of the players involved, many stories get bogged down in facts, figures and extraneous exposition, with a cutsie sound byte chucked in for garnish. Not much in the way of personality in those articles, and they don't go for round characters, so the characters they do run down have all the flesh and blood of the manikin in the window of REI.

Most of all, the articles hardly ever challenge readers and move them out of their comfort zone. Outside is basically about emotional comfort and confirming official sensibilities, not exploration of interesting terrain.