Outside magazine "Babes on Belay"

Kitergal

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, like wow, girlz can climb, too! That's just so amazing and special, considering women are otherwise incapable of anything!

In other words, what's so special about women climbers? Women have proved themselves capable of climbing well for as long as climbing's been around. This kind of sentiment reminds me of someone saying "He's so articulate!" about a black man.

Hmm, no-one perusing this site would get the impression that this is a male dominated sport...

There are probably alot of women who will be inspired by this article, and rightly so. Outside magazine seems to have had alot of good stuff going on lately, maybe I'll actually buy one.

Oh come on you're smarter on that. The article isn't suppose to be either good or earth shattering. It's just an excuse to put pictures of hot chicks in the magazine. The goal is to boost the mags circulation.

You ever heard of the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit issue. wazzup.gif

They need some body paint in there...and maybe a sheep or two.

Inspirational?? Especially the part about the single girl surrounded incessantly by a harem of Yosemite dirtbag climbers...

I might be alone on this, but that sounds more horrific than inspirational.

Another observation. How often are articles written about male climbers, where the majority of the article is about their love lives, girlfriends, and ex-girlfriends? BORING. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, like wow, girlz can climb, too! That's just so amazing and special, considering women are otherwise incapable of anything!

In other words, what's so special about women climbers? Women have proved themselves capable of climbing well for as long as climbing's been around. This kind of sentiment reminds me of someone saying "He's so articulate!" about a black man.

yep. cool.gif well said.

yep. cool.gif well said.

so...female climbers are not special anymore...and neither is male climbers....and I thought I was special cry.gif

That article was so suck. The cover with the hotty is enticing but when you open the mag to the article the pictures are just a bunch of girls standing around in Camp 4 in their puffies. Lame.

Did you expect them to be hanging out in bikinis?

Janet and Sarah would fly to Peru to attempt the first all-female ascent, via the 14-pitch Original Route, of La Esfinge (the Sphinx), a 17,470-foot granite wall in the Cordillera Blanca.

yellaf.gif That's rich. a 17,000 ft. wall - in only 14 pitches. That's a long rope.

That article was so suck. The cover with the hotty is enticing but when you open the mag to the article the pictures are just a bunch of girls standing around in Camp 4 in their puffies. Lame.

Did you expect them to be hanging out in bikinis?

Bikinis, at most.

No. I actually expected them to be you know, like climbing or something. In bikini tops, of course.

when do we get to quit having this conversation? it's not earth shattering that women climb. it's also not earth shattering that hot chicks sell magazines to men. again, not earth shattering info that more men climb than women. again not earth shattering that a climbing rag would want to target men. no one is stopping more women from climbing.

it's a fluff piece to sell magazines. buy, read it, have a little brain candy fine. it's not a statement on equality.

p'rana top? bikini top? not much difference is there, really?