Mt. Hood and PDX

chrisIW

Well, I got back Sunday from Potrland. Last Friday I was at Timberline learning basic crampon skills, ice axe arrest and other important basics. Snow was coming down really hard and we made a call not to try to climb Hood the next day because of the unfavorable conditions. Oh, well better luck next time I visit. Not to sound like a commercial, but I had a great experience with Bob and Timberline Mtn Guides.

So on Sat I went and hiked Eagle Creek which was nice. The Columbia River Gorge and the Cascades are amazing. I was also very impressed on how nice people were. I was happy to see a store in PDX that DIDN'T have overpriced gear and poor costumer service. I felt very welcomed by the people of Portland especially the Mazamas.

There was many great reasons that I would more then just come and visit, but maybe move. Who knows?

I will never forget however seeing Hood, it really knocked me out of my shoes on how impressive it is.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad your experience went well, even if the weather didn't... Not sure what the exact statistical odds are for being snowed out on volcano climbs around here, but I do know personally I'm running at a fairly typical 50 percent, including a '02 storm weekend much like yours on the mighty Hood. Such is the game...

I sometimes get burnt out on Hood, since it's so close, and if I only have a day or two off before I have to get back to work, it's where I'm heading. But, it's a great training ground. And, it really is nice to have such a nice looking peak to stare at on the way to work...not to mention, I can be at 11,235 at 7 in the morning, and in my living room by early afternoon (after a mandatory stop at the Huckleberry Inn, of course.) 4625Hood_Scout_009-med.JPG

fruit.gif

Hmmmmm, huckleberry pancakes cheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

Has anyone ever been able to finish the regular stack at the Huckleberry?

Haha...oh, yeah...and walked away hungry, still!

Chris- I took that pick from Sam Jackson Rd. up by OHSU where I work. With some good binoculars, it's an okay place to scout out the west side routes bigdrink.gif