climbing flicks

dbconlin

How about Rampage with Chris Sharma, Obe Carrion and friends. A great laid back road trip. I like how they focused on the rock, and the people and not themselves. No spray about ratings or how cool they are. There was a noticable lack of product placement, as opposed to vertical limit (did anyone notice how the logos on the clothes were digitally enhanced in a few of the scenes). It was fun, well put together and had a good soundtrack. Those guys were having a blast and so was I. [big Drink]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

Are you sure this is a climbing video or were you um. . ."preoccupied" during the climbing sequences?

Reminds me when I worked in a climbing shop in the late 80s...MOSI has nothing on it compared to a video done of Brit hardman Ron Fawcett done in the 80s. Wish I could remember it's name. Had LOTS of video showing Fawcett trying to redpoint some hard gritstone testpiece at his upper limits. Filmed in the humid Brit summer so Fawcett's wearing nothing but real small track shorts, he's grunting for all he's worth through all the hard sequences. Myself not having seen it yet, and noticing an older non-climber guy renting it for the umpteenth time, innocent me had to ask him why. After hearing his answer, we dubbed a copy specially for him so we wouldn't have to deal with him any more. [Eek!]

It's not really a movie, but I think the Nova "Death Zone" show was pretty good.

It was entertaining to see Ed Viesturs and David Brashears get the giggles as they do cognitive skills testing. Made it pretty clear what climbing without O's can do to your body & mind.

I like the Matser's series and Eiger sanction is awesome (love the climbing helmets in that movie! But my favorites are:

Hard Grit - docs. hard grit stone classics and horredous falls. Grit stone climbers are about as bold as they come.

Stone Monkey - Another Grit climbing classic

The Face - takes you through 6 different types of climbing from Big Walls, to alpine, to soprtos in Vietnam. There is a sequal but haven't seen it yet.

The Edge deals with the History of alpine/ice climbing in Scottland.

Most o f these are Euro videos, but have some excellent images and focus more on climbing than music, flashiness, etc. that US vids can be famous for.

Saw Jackass yesterday...now I have put trask's face with a name. [Razz]

Anyway, saw an ad for a new movie, Extreme Ops, coming out in a couple of weeks. It looks like a goofy movie about some extreme sports guys/gals who are making a movie in the Alps, who come upon a Serbian war criminal. The online description says "Accidentally catching him on film, they become locked in a life-or-death chase through the mountains that includes skiing, snowboarding, sky diving, white water rafting, helicopters, motorcycles, and base jumping...

MPAA Rating: PG-13 for (for violence/peril, language and some nudity). Release Date: November 27th, 2002."

I'm sure the plot will be stupid, but the mountain scenes in the trailer were cool. It looked like they might have filmed a lot of this on the Shilthorn or a similar peak in Switzerland.

quote:

Originally posted by Off White:

Well, for old time's sake, what about Solo? The bit with the frog is so cute,

That was the 1st climbing film I ever saw - started me down the dark path.

Also, the play K2, on which the movie is loosely based, completely owns the movie, as the dialogue is intense, and no hollywood ending...

Oh, and 'Five Days One Summer' with Sean Connery.