climbing flicks

dbconlin

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Masters of Stone

"It's like a giant belly of a whale, and you're just huggin' it, slappin' it ... holds aren't much better, either." -- Name that sprayer and the route he's spraying about!

"This cave is SO steep; it's FULLY RAINING right now, and this cave is PERFECTLY dry." -- Again, name that sprayer!

Climbers are like gunfighters ... there's always someone quicker on the draw.

quote:

Originally posted by rbw1966:

You actually listen to the dialogue? I bet you have a box of kleenex and some hand lotion nearby too.

[Roll Eyes]

Perhaps you're thinking of a different video? [Confused]

Come on, now. Masters of Stone is the uber-cheesy climbing classic. You can't make up dialogue that bad, and you can't ignore it when it makes up half the movie.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Masters of Stone

"It's like a giant belly of a whale, and you're just huggin' it, slappin' it ... holds aren't much better, either." -- Name that sprayer and the route he's spraying about!

"This cave is SO steep; it's FULLY RAINING right now, and this cave is PERFECTLY dry." -- Again, name that sprayer!

Which Masters of Stone? There's now 5 of 'em. I used to have I and IV a while ago, then let 'em be borrowed and never got them back. Right, Sir D, sure sounds like Dano.

Oh, those gems are from the original and best MOS. You got Ron Kauk cruisin' around in cowboy boots and climbing 5.13 in his Levi's, Dan Osman sporting the day-glow prints and the rocker hairdo, John Bachar soloing 5.12, Todd Skinner spraying like you wouldn't believe, Boone Speed at about age 18 talking about broccoli and PowerBars, the warrior pit, and an appalling soundtrack. Beautiful.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

Oh, those gems are from the original and best MOS. You got Ron Kauk cruisin' around in cowboy boots and climbing 5.13 in his Levi's, Dan Osman sporting the day-glow prints and the rocker hairdo, John Bachar soloing 5.12, Todd Skinner spraying like you wouldn't believe, Boone Speed at about age 18 talking about broccoli and PowerBars, the warrior pit, and an appalling soundtrack. Beautiful.

Are you sure this is a climbing video or were you um. . ."preoccupied" during the climbing sequences?

quote:

"It's like a giant belly of a whale, and you're just huggin' it, slappin' it ... holds aren't much better, either." -- Name that sprayer and the route

he's spraying about!

Quote 1 correctly already identified as Dan Osman. Quote 2 is Kurt Smith. The Osman segment in the video is one of my favorites from the series, where he uses his middle finger to draw through the air the overhanging outline of the route, ending up squarely flipping off the camera [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by matt warfield:

quote:

Steph davis ( I think) fee soloing some crack was awsome, JK thaught it was SEXY

Steph does 11+ free solo at Indian Creek, with one great butt shot segment. I think she and Dean Potter got married, so she is no longer available. But neither is JK, right Muff?
[Wink]
[Wink] sexy is sexy! just because you wear a ring doesn't mean you can't look [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Muffy The Wanker Sprayer:

EVEN I THINK THAT IS SEXY
[big Grin]
gives us all something to aspire to
[Wink]
( me,as if
[Roll Eyes]
)

Girl on Girl - gotta love that!

Yo - my first page top!

I saw the Stallone movie 2 days after coming home from the summit of Deniali - It freaked me out when Scott Franklin's wife (I forget her name off-hand) took that huge whipper in the opening scene.

[ 11-14-2002, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Ropegun2002 ]

Climbing flicks...

Saw Vertical Limit when it first came out with non climber friends, and after biting my tounge raw through the scenes, at the end of the movie my friends said "Now we understand why you climb, that was an awesome movie!". [laf][laf][laf]

Even though K2 was fake it was entertaining, but the Eiger Sanction was very good. [big Grin]

I remember watching Cliffhanger in the theater, and you could identify the other climbers in the audience as the ones who laughed out loud at seemingly inappropriate moments. Gea Phipps' screamer was pretty good and she tells a pretty good story about it, she's a former Greener as is Brooke Sandahl who's made some good bank rigging on these flicks. I seem to recall Black Diamond wasn't very happy about the buckle failure on the harness that resulted in that opening scene big whipper, the filmmakers had to make one out of lead to get it to deform and shred like that.

Vertical Limit took the suspension of disbelief even one step further. Pity they waxed the drunken Australians, they were my favorite part, aside from the Prestone Anti-Freeze as nitro, or the explosive crevasse rescue, or any of the creative bits that would make Sir Isaac Newton howl with laughter.

Its been a long time, but I recall Eiger Sanction has a few of those too, from the "leading" scene with the clear top rope, to the grim belay on the Eiger, as Clint is struggling to hold his fallen follower, and the single pin belay quivers, and the hand reaches out, to help? to kill? no, to grab Clint's collar as the pin pulls, but no fear, one guy with a steady grip is better than a belay any day. Based on a Trevanian novel, at least this one had good source material.

What about The Mountain, oldie with Spencer Tracy and a young Robert Wagner engaged in a rescue attempt at a plane crash? Spencer wants to help the survivor (the girl, of course) but Robert just wants to loot the wreckage. Guess who doesn't make it back down?

Seeing all those errors in climbing movies has made me wonder at the egregious violations ther must be in movies around other disciplines about which I know nothing. I've had a friend who's a potter confirm some in her field. You gun aficianados out there must have an endless roster..