10 days - 20 lbs of food... am I too heavy?

wfinley

I'm going out for 10 days - I have 20 lbs of food... am I too heavy? This weight does not include fuel, camping or climbing gear... only food. We're not doing a technical route -- just mellow glaciated climbs where we'll be dropping loads and setting camp before it gets steep. What's your weight when you're out for a while?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Impossible to answer your question with the info you provide. Are you talking about 20 lbs of all dehydrated food? Whats that like 10,000 calories a day? Way too much. Or is it 20 lbs of canned pork and beans?

Add up the calories you're taking. I like to have 4-6000 calories a day when I'm climbing, and around 2500 a day sitting around camp. If you're going out for that long, I'm sure you know how many calories YOU need for the amount of work you're doing. By the way, running out of food on day 7 or 8 will really suck.

OK... here's more info. Flying into the Chugach for 9 days - but we're bringing 2 extra days of food in case of stroms.. This 20lbs is only my food. IMO it's a tad bit heavy - but we are base camping it. However I'm trying to get it as close to a real trip as possible b/c I leave on another trip right afterwards. The second trip will be Blackburn - so we'll have to carry loads and I want to be fairly light. Thus this food planning serves as training for the next trip. There are certain things I could cut to make it lighter for a longer carrying trip (like only eat oatmeal instead of granola and nix the extra bagof gatoraid) but I'm wondering how much weight others carry. Not interested in the Twight 'carry only Gu and crank method' - more along the lines of long glacier plods and what people carry for those.

Typical meal / days consists of:

Breakfast: nutrigrain bar / oatmeal / coffee

Lunch: 1 logan bread bar / 1 candy bar / 1 powerbar / misc (gu or something)

Dinner: 1 packet miso / chicken with dehydrated potatoes, stuffing & corn / one handful chocolate

Calories end up being about 6000. Maybe little more. (Never been so good at counting).

What do you eat per day?

OK... here's more info. Flying into the Chugach for 9 days - but we're bringing 2 extra days of food in case of stroms.. This 20lbs is only my food. IMO it's a tad bit heavy - but we are base camping it. However I'm trying to get it as close to a real trip as possible b/c I leave on another trip right afterwards. The second trip will be Blackburn - so we'll have to carry loads and I want to be fairly light. Thus this food planning serves as training for the next trip. There are certain things I could cut to make it lighter for a longer carrying trip (like only eat oatmeal instead of granola and nix the extra bagof gatoraid) but I'm wondering how much weight others carry. Not interested in the Twight 'carry only Gu and crank method' - more along the lines of long glacier plods and what people carry for those.

Dinner: 1 packet miso / chicken with dehydrated potatoes, stuffing & corn / one handful chocolate

Calories end up being about 6000. Maybe little more. (Never been so good at counting).

What do you eat per day?

In the words of Mark Twight, "In the time you spent counting calories, you could have been TRAINING!"

More seriously, the sample meal you posted looks more like 3000 calories, not 6000.

Since you're doing two trips back to back, I'd actually not use this trip as a test of your systems. I'd bring plenty of food, and fresh tasty food at that. Enjoy it while you can. When you need to go light, you can skimp on quality.

You want to stay well nourished on your first trip so that you will be at 100% for your second. On the latter trip, you can abuse your body.

Four a six-day trip with no desire for pleasure, I've done:

two pounds of couscous

six Clif bars

oatmeal for six days

two sandwiches w/ Munster cheese per day

a foot of HC

It might be worth the trouble to track down a copy of the NOLS cookery book- it has excellent weight and calorie breakdowns in it so you know exactly what to bring to get a certain number of calories each day.

Thats what I've used in the past on longer trips and it has worked out very well.

This sounds very low calorie to me, certainly not 6000. I classically underpack for food, on almost all trips I have to mooch off climbing partners to avoid starving it seems, but even I would be throwing in a couple more items to this list.

This sounds very low calorie to me, certainly not 6000. I classically underpack for food, on almost all trips I have to mooch off climbing partners to avoid starving it seems, but even I would be throwing in a couple more items to this list.

Hmmm... perhaps this is why I am always so hungry.

The servings are pretty ample (my logan bread is more like a logan brick); I always plan on being hungry but not starving. Regarding the planning stages - I have two weeks inbetween trips - I'll gain back that weight at the local pub.

I would agree to get your hands on the NOLS cookery. As it says in the book, people tend to eat 1.5lbs per person per day in summer basecamping, 1.75 ppd, in summer backpacking, and 2 ppd mountaineering. You can add weight in the form of fats and hot drinks if it will be cold. This is before the weight of spice kit, oil etc. Also something to think about is that people tend to have less of an appetite in the first week and then it picks up after that.

On 2 lbs per day you can eat well... Pizza, caseroles, loads of cheese, if you're going to be that heavy you should enjoy yourself!!

Good Luck,

Kevin

i agree with gary that the "training" for eating crap food by eating crap food when it's not necessary is a dumb idea. take advantage of that base camp to load up with fat and tasty treats! if you need a climbing-related rationalizaion, remember that good food is a major factor in keeping your psyche on during long trips.

as they say in catalunya, "mengi bé, caga fort i riure davant de mort" (eat well, shit hard and laugh in the face of death!)

Hey - I'd be hauling beer and pizza if I could! Problem is we fly in on a supercub - which means 70lbs of gear per person. My skis alone (Karhu Jaks) weight over 10 lbs so I have to be somewhat light. One must have priorites so I opted to eat light and have fat skis instead of tthe other way around!