mountainering packs

davelwang

Hey all,

I am getting into mountaineering after years of rock climbing and backpacking. I have an old Lowe Alpine internal frame that's pretty bulky and heavy. I am thinking about getting something specific for moutaineering, one that has crampon attachment points and tool tubes. Any favorites?

DAve

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold Cold World Chernobyl, or something like it.

Wild Things Ice Sac

Trango Ice Pack (not made anymore, but you'll see its similar to the previous 2)

Basically: 50L or slightly less, light, minimal bells and whistles, removable top pocket, durable.

I bought the Osprey Ceres 70 last year and can't speak highly enough about it. I have fought with various different size and model of packs for climbing and hated everything. This one was actually designed for climbers. Two tool tubes, summit cinch down compression mode for when its empty, big enough for a two nighter, light, comfortable, carries extremely well, shovel compatible, etc. No expicitly spcific crampon spot but you'll find something that will work on this puppy for sure.

Granite Gear Alpine Lite. Click Here, probably find a better price somewhere else.

PM me for tips for packing a frameless alpine pack if you want.

I have this pack and like it. I think Ken4rd also has one.

If you need a big capacity pack, but also want to use that pack on-route, take a look at the Wild Things Andinista (spectra models are back too). You could carry a week's worth of crap to basecamp, strip it down and carry it on route, etc.

The only packs you'll ever need:

Cold Cold World

I just ordered a Chernobyl to go along with my Valdez and Chaos packs. I can't imagine using anything else. These packs are the best I've seen. Light, bomber, competitively priced, and free custom modifications. I can't imagine anyone having any serious complaints about these packs. I've never heard one. You won't be disappointed. thumbs_up.gif

Cold Cold World

I just ordered a Chernobyl to go along with my Valdez and Chaos packs. I can't imagine using anything else. These packs are the best I've seen. Light, bomber, competitively priced, and free custom modifications. I can't imagine anyone having any serious complaints about these packs. I've never heard one. You won't be disappointed. thumbs_up.gif

Does anyone know if any of the shops in/near Seattle carry these? I've already spent some time looking and didn't see them (I'm currently favoring the Osprey Aether 60).

Cold Cold World

Does anyone know if any of the shops in/near Seattle carry these? I've already spent some time looking and didn't see them (I'm currently favoring the Osprey Aether 60).

Marmot Mtn Works in Bellevue used to carry the Chernobyl

Cold Cold World

I thought I saw one at Feathered Friends.

Dana Designs for comfort or Cold Cold World for a good compromise. My large Chaos is about 4 lbs with about 5,000 cu.in. extended. The top pocket can be removed and the body be used as a summit pack. The quick release tool loops are very nice. At about 40 lbs (my solo winter weight) the pack starts to hurt me a little. Some neck muscles and better packing would let me add 10 more I think.

I like the simple one big sack. The removeable pad is nice as well. The shoulder strap tightening at the base of the straps is a little funky. The top pocket is a very useable size, with the nice little map pocket. The compression straps are in good spots, they compress the pack instead of creating bulges. The compression straps are also big enough to fit a ridgerest and Thermarest under. The crampon pouch is bulletproof as well, fuel bottle in the summer.

The quality is excellent, no loose stitches. The interior foam is actually a pretty good loadbearing frame. The opening is nice and wide, plenty of room to get an arm all the way to the bottom.

Get one. thumbs_up.gif

Call Jim Nelson at Pro Mountain Sports (on University Way). I've seen those packs in his store before

I use the Osprey Ceres 50. If you bushwack a lot, there are plenty of things to get hung up, but there is a place for everything without getting into the pack. That's nice in high wind.

I love this pack. Too small for much overnight stuff if it is cold though. Great for a summit pack.

I thought I saw one at Feathered Friends.

Hmm, I was at both places (Marmot and FF) last weekend. Will try again and look specifically for these packs...

Marmot carrys all models of CCW packs. I saw them there a couple weeks ago. FF carrys the Chaos and Valdez, but I haven't seen the Chernobyl there. I recommend checking one out in the store and then ordering direct. You can get free custom modifications and you'll be supporting a small company (not that FF isn't though). You save money buy paying no tax and pay ~$6 to $10 for shipping. thumbs_up.gif

The shoulder strap tightening at the base of the straps is a little funky.

That is funky but with custom mods, mine tighten top down, the way I like it. thumbs_up.gif

The shoulder strap was designed this way on purpose .... to keep the loose ends from slapping you in the face in windy conditions

I am also new to this sport and picked up an REI Mercury pack last week. Does anyone have feedback on the pack, good or bad?

Seems counter-intuitive to gather opinions AFTER your purchase. Perhaps you could get out there and let us know what YOU think of it.