3 day alpine trip close to Van B.C.

kchapman

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you just learn how to use the Internet confused.gif

I would ask for your course fee back.

I am trying to put a trip together with a partner and would like some suggestions for a 3 day trip 4 hours from Vancouver B.C.. WE are both novice types with a one week mountaineering course .

Planning to leave April 10th. The avalanche conditions right now are a major concern. Our initial plan was Mt.Baker but with the snow conditions...?

Something in Garabaldi Park, Tantalus or Joffre ranges might have to do.

Any comments welcome

Kchapman

Anyways - with one whole week of mtneering course and apparently no avalanche awareness training, I would suggest you set your sights on a manageable destination - maybe Sky Pilot.

He took a climbing course, Dru, not a semester-in-spray.

Perhaps you need to start taking in students, wise spraymaster.

Spraymonks from around the world would beat a path to your door, simply to prove who had the better school of spray.

The doorstep of your dojo would be littered with the bones of unsuccessful applicants. Behind your shuttered windows, neophytes would scuttle back and forth, wary of incurring the spraymaster's capricious wrath, yet braving all dangers simply for a chance to learn the simplest of secrets of spray.

I am trying to put a trip together with a partner and would like some suggestions for a 3 day trip 4 hours from Vancouver B.C.. WE are both novice types with a one week mountaineering course .

Planning to leave April 10th. The avalanche conditions right now are a major concern. Our initial plan was Mt.Baker but with the snow conditions...?

Something in Garabaldi Park, Tantalus or Joffre ranges might have to do.

Any comments welcome

Kchapman

You might try climbing Wedge from Wedgemount lake. Its a nice place to be, with 3 days you'd have a day to approach (4000 gain), a day to climb, and a day to go out again. I've done this trip in early April before and it was pretty nice,...well, except when the weather didnt cooperate! wink.gif

For both suggestions you could have hut available.

Marriot is my advice too (as Todd says).

You won't regret it. Go for Mt. Marriott!

Beautiful area and you could be alone pass the hut. Wedge will be harder to do after only a week of mountaineering course.

If you can do Marriott in two days, on the way bak home don't pass Sky Pilot. Dru is right that SP is good choice. Sleep in the truck (if you coming with 4x4) and start early.

You can do Sky Pilot in a long day.

Edited by Zoran

Sky Pilot? the road is closed so getting in there will be pretty lame unless you wanna walk on logging roads forever. Wedge, I d imagine the avalanche danger will be pretty high even by next weekend, lots of snow to come for the next week.

Never been to marriot but from todds advice sounds like the place to go, even looks like you may get some decent weather by then.

Good luck

Just reads Todd post, thats fast!! dunno how spring like thngs will be up there next weekend

Edited by jmace

I like this idea! But you'll need one, maybe 2 keys to get past the 2 gates. Healthy bear population in this area too. And bring a water filter unless you plan to melt snow...two people I shared a trip with last summer enjoyed the Campylobacteria rapid weight loss program - 15lbs in a week frown.gif (ofcourse those little buggers aren't at optimal breeding temps now). The summer route is avy prone, but there is a winter route which I have not tried. If you are going with this plan PM me and I'll send you more pointers. I climbed with P in Chilliwack in 2003 - are you associated with that character?

Edited by luwayo

The guy is awesome, he says the first trip is free, but throw him a few bucks, I think he only charges ten anyways. I think you may luck out that weekend too weather wise, although have to see how much snow falls til then, just shy of 2 feet last night in whistler and I bet another foot falls sat night, ye haa rockband.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...