Winter climbs with low avalanche potential

chesterboo

Ideas about winter climbs with low avalanche potential would be appreciated. I am looking for conditioners but mountainiering objectives fitting this criteria would be great. I have done mailbox peak 10 times in last year and is getting (or is already) boring. Thanks for any ideas.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello capitalist!

Avalanche potential varies from year to year. Winter is long gone this year(spring now), although if you'd like maybe I could look into my crystal ball and predict next years winter snowfall to help you out.

Thank you for allow me to post.

What's are you trying to imply, hirsute3.14?

Given the weather of the last week and the current forecast, we're headed for the most wintry conditions we've had this year in the mountains. By the end of the week we may even have a low elevation snowpack.

I am just looking for new ideas of hikes/climbs that add some new variety and continued climbing fitness. I was gearing up for doing some actual routes early this season until the weather of the last week has hit us. I am still looking forward to an early season but in the mean time I just want to get out and do something without too much avalanche exposure. I have done Persis 2x this winter on the west ridge and it was a fun hike and safe avalanche speaking. I guess I am looking for things along this line.

One option down your way is Florence Peak in MRNP, 3700' or so gain, most of it on trail. Take the nature trail from the Carbon River Ranger Station and take the obvious (no... it really IS obvious... not Beckey obvious) "non-maintained" trail where the nature trail loops back. Follow trail to Alki Ridge. Leave trail at ridge crest and follow ridge to Florence Peak.

There is a little west facing slope at the top that could be slabby in the right conditions, but I imagine the only snow on it now is the recent snow from last/this week.

The hike isn't too exciting, but it's a good conditioner that you can cruise on - it's in the woods most the way, but if the mountain is out you get a pretty nice view from the top.

-kurt

Thanks guys. Florence is a good one. I have done that 3 times this winter but did not mention it. thanks for the advice. Florence is exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for . I know that there are those peaks out there are not in the obvious guide books but are allot of fun. I think I have seen the website fenderfour is talking about but I will take a closer look. thank you again

I think Steve would've given Mailbox a lower avalanche "rating" on his chart (as we all probably would) except for his personal experience with it.

That link is a good reminder for all that until the snow is gone,(or until AlpinFox says so) there's ALWAYS a potential for avalanche no matter where you are. Never fool yourself thinking you're "safe".

-kurt

edited to please the grammar/logic police

Never fool yourself thinking you're "safe".

-kurt

This is good advice. I was up in the Alpental Basin last August and there was no snow around, but I said to myself,

"SELF!, Don't let your guard down, 'cause that's when an avalanche will gitcha!"

And due to my mindfulness, I was able to avoid being killed by an avalanche.

Thank you for allow sarcastic fox to post.

p.s. Skykilo said, "hirsuite3.14159"

yellaf.gif

I did the tooth 2 weeks ago and it was in good condition at that time. You wouldn't catch me near there now. I have read the posts on mailbox peak too. I was in an avalanche last year on Silver peak in May. I am very aware of dangers that avalanches present. That is why I posted the question. Getting off the couch and into the mountains is risky. Selecting peaks with "low avalanche potential" is the first part of awareness of the potential danger. Certainly, even a peak with low avalanche potential can have some dangerous aspects even to them.

Hello Chesterboo!

What about the Tooth, near Snoqualmie Pass.

Try your public library or local bookstore for more info on climbs with low avalanche potential.

Commi guy, the chair peak basin is pretty damn scary avalanche wise.

Never fool yourself thinking you're "safe".

-kurt

This is good advice. I was up in the Alpental Basin last August and there was no snow around, but I said to myself,

"SELF!, Don't let your guard down, 'cause that's when an avalanche will gitcha!"

And due to my mindfulness, I was able to avoid being killed by an avalanche.

Thank you for allow sarcastic fox to post.

p.s. Skykilo said, "hirsuite3.14159"

yellaf.gif

Error corrected.

Thank you for allow non-spraying dweeb in climber's board to edit.

-kurt

Hello Chesterboo!

What about the Tooth, near Snoqualmie Pass.

Try your public library or local bookstore for more info on climbs with low avalanche potential.

Commi guy, the chair peak basin is pretty damn scary avalanche wise.

The Tooth can be approached by routes that avoid Chair Peak Basin.

I like a lot of the trips on Steve's site, but I would add the East Ridge of Bandera. It is not a trail hike, but more of a cross country ridge scramble. It is fairly interesting with some areas of exposure and it is safe in virtually all avy conditions.

Seriously, up until this last snow fall winter/spring hiking has been great.

Hikes that I can think of with zero avalanche issues are; low land hikes or trails that stay in heavy timber. This winter I been hiking up to four times a week with rotation of trail up the I90 corridor like;

Si, Westside trail – steeper & less people then the main trial

Teneriffe – Go up the water fall trail & for more mileage Tenerife to Si traverse

Mailbox – Worried about avalanches, Stay to left of both boulder fields

Mt. Washington – Off of Ex38

West Defiance to Defiance to Bandera – Triple Peak Traverse – good vert & mileage

Granite – Up the South Ridge – Stay out the gullies – Extra mileage Pt5566 & Pt5200

There’s a bunch more – also check out the lakes like; Pratt, Tuscohatchie & Melakwa makes a nice loop

If you need directions & topos I can post

Erick

To Robert and Ejohnson thank you for the advice. The west defiance to defiance to bandera sounds interesting and so does the west trail on Si. I have not done these. Can you post directions please? thank you. Also Teneriffe sounds intersting. Where is that? near Si? Thanks for any info you can give me.

If you are interested in a multi-peak traverse I really like Silver to Abiel to Humpback. The really nice thing is that it ends up right where it starts. Watch the decent from Humpack for Avy, and the climb of Silver if you hike into Lake Annette rather than cutting up to the North Ridge right from the Iron Horse Trail.