Gotama

letsroll

"The Gotama represents the newest in twin-tip powder ski technology. Developed to blend big mountain, deep-powder skiing with new-school style, the Gotama is the cornerstone of Völkl's freeskiing collection" Just got done with a trip to Tahoe (Mt Rose) and was just toying with the idea of getting a Fattie set-up. Has anybody toured with these puppies. I know you will not be doing laps with these things. Right now i run Atomic TM-X's with Dynafit bindings and mega ride boots. But have a set of Freerides in the box begging for some boards to drive cry.gif. Are they just noodles? Sales right now might be good so I figure now might be the right time to pick up some planks to ride on.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, the Gotama's, good choice. I have talked to a lot of skiers this year that are thinking of mounting the Gotama’s with the freerides at the end of this season. What I have heard is that they have a lot of flex but not very noodley (torsionally stiff). This is only what I have heard, haven't riden on them. They have a squared up tail so they work well with skins and for the mondo switch outs. If your thinking about mounting in the middle you should ask yourself are you going to be riding rails? If yes then do it, if not why would you even want to? Only thing I can think of that would change if mounted in the middle would be the possibility of the tips diving when skinning up, could rhetorically become a problem, but doubtful with those phattys. If I had a choice of my dream AT set up this would be at the top.

Volkl Gotamas are the mythical ski that no one can seem to afford but everyone wants. Beautiful and expensive (at least the older pure black ones). I have seen them mounted with freerides (this is the setup of one of the pro patrollers at Meadows). I could not imagine touring in those beasts, though "touring" means different things to different people. They are not quite as Gucci as DB skis, but they are getting there. smile.gif

THE GOATS pwn!

I schwanked myself a pair of gootahmaz this fall, 183, and they stood in my office for months, umounted, due to less than stellar snow pack (couldn't stand mounting them and thrashing them on volcanic rock).

finally mounted them for a trip to tahoe, and once i drilled em, the storms started coming to the pacnw (conincedence, i think not).

anyhow, these things just are fkna plab. they perform well in all the crap you can throw at them, and all the while you feel zen with your neato far eastern top sheet design.

i think they would make a faily good touring rig, and i have actually considered droppin the fritschi's off my xXx'z onto deez boyz.

the goats give me a serious 8======D, and spring powder turns on the goats are super bonerific.

I skied on the Gotama this weekend and it is an amazingly fun ski. It's great in the powder and the crud and actually isn't too bad on the groomers just a little slow because it is so wide under the foot. Doesn't appear to be that heavy either. The one thing I really noticed about them, and I'm not sure if this is because of the overall surface area on the bottom of the ski, but it's one of the smoothest unharsh skis I've ever been on. Then again it could of been the foot of fresh powder smile.gif Only downside is that it's pretty damn expensive.

OK, maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you put skins on a ski with a big blunt tip and round tails?

If you have G3 skins, flip the tip loop around so that the metal bar is over the tip of the ski instead of the plastic coated section. This seemed to help keep them from popping off the tips of my Havocs.