A quiz about your car or truck

mattp

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt:

If you get a Toyota you can drive all the way to base camp on Mt. Everest and haul all of your gear too. Get a snorkle kit for crossing the Pacific and get a good one, it would suck to be 20,000' down there and have a seal pop and then the wife says, "Matt, I told you to get the good snorkle" [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

volvos are way overpriced. was the 240 rear-wheel drive? We used to have a stationwagon 240, built like a tank.

I agree that volvos are overpriced, but I know why-- it's because the average volvo will go for 18 years/300,000 miles which is pretty impressive for a non-Japanese car. I think the 240s are legendary for superior reliability-- much better than the 740/760 versions. If I had the cash I might go for the T5 station wagon, but I don't...

VW Vanagon/Microbus types are way cool, but the engines suck. I still haven't figured out how a 5 cylinder engine works [Confused]

I find it somewhat ironic that many people have said, "Just get two cars." This, in my mind, is the ultimate American decadance shining through. Sure, I'd like a Subaru WRX to drive to work, a VW Camper to take on those month long trips to the Valley, and a vintage 70s Toyota Land Cruiser for those weekends at Darrington when I want to have real 4WD to get that last 1/2 mile up the logging road. But isn't this a little too much? When do we say enough is enough?

There are no good choices. Matt, you know this better than I do-- life is full of compromises and sometimes "ok most of the time" is the best we can do. Maybe you should wait until they come out with a hybrid engine that can be retrofitted into the car of your choice.

If there are any mechanical engineers out there, listen up! I want a hybrid engine that gets 60-70 miles per gallon and can be placed in a 70s Toyota land Cruiser! It better give me 200+ hp too! And super reliable!

quote:

Originally posted by JoshK:

...the best car you can get for driving snowy roads is an audi w/ quattro, bar-none. Audi's AWD system is significantly better technology than anything else out there.... Anybody who argues this hasn't driven one or can't drive in the snow.

grand cherokee with quadra-drive never had any problems any where. Yea, bring on the spray, but I've never bottomed out or spun out on snowy/icy roads. Can sleep in the back, carry tons of gear, reliable, drives like a car (not like a truck), ~20mpg highway. Okay spray away.

[big Grin]

I looked at the Volvo and the Subaru and bought a VW Passat Wagon. Seemed to me to be the most for the money. After 40 days it's still great. We'll see in 5 years.

I downsized from a 3/4 ton truck.

For driving on roads, (not mud), where the major traction issue is snow and ice - I too think 4wd is overrated. It is nice for go, but does not help directional stability or braking. I used to ice race (on frozen lakes) when I lived in the north and rear-engine rear drive and front-engine front drives were always faster than 4WD around the course (better control). Get good snow tires and chains/cables if winter traction is a big deal.

Avoid the extra money, maintenance and wear of 4WD, unless you need it on the beach or in the woods and fields.

Neither the cars (subaru, etc) with 4wd/AWD nor many of the SUV's have enough extra ground clearance to be a big deal to me - it's about 1 inch over the non 4WD. If you want a true off-road machine get something with little overhang, a short wheelbase, a lot of clearance, and the ability to lock the differential (Land Rovers, old Broncos. K5 blazers, short pickups, CJ's all come to mind).

quote:

Originally posted by Rick Sharpless:

I looked at the Volvo and the Subaru and bought a VW Passat Wagon

I test drove a Passat sedan, and the thing was damn comfortable and seemed to handle pretty well, too. I'm still eying the Subarus and the Volvos, but I'm thinking the Passat may be the way to go. It is such a frumpy looking car that I am sure many of my climber buddies won't want to ride in it because of the image it would present, but then I'll be able to sit back and enjoy the ride while they hit rocks with their car.