A quiz about your car or truck

mattp

freeclimb, the WRX rocks, don't get me wrong. It's an awesome rally car, as subaru has put forth the effort to dominate the circuit recently, much as audi did with the ur quattro 10 to 20 years ago.

However, if we are talking about driving snowy roads over the passes and not railing down rally courses, audi's quattro is better than subaru's AWD. I've owned 2 subarus and 2 audis and have driven them back-to-back in the same conditions.

Audi's use 2 torsen diffs, center and rear, where as subarus use open diffs, EDL and a center viscous coupled diff. The torsens cost a lot more, thus leading to quattro's relatively high cost, but they simply aren't beat when it comes to transfering power where you want it.

Now, granted, is a small difference in snow performance worth having a more expensive car that you would less likely to trash on? For most people, probably not.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

the legacy is a good car. i got a 90 too.[snip] sleeps 1 person in the back if you lie diagonally.

A "Drubaru" [big Grin]

Best thing is 2 vehicles. [Roll Eyes] Make sure the second one is 25 years or older, then you get cheap insurance. A Mog for the offroad trips in the area, and a roo for the rest. We refer to our Suby as "the truck" quite often. We run a landscape business with it. We fit 2 in the back of our wagon, but we can snuggle. [Wink]

There is a vibrator (yes that kind) brand that is popular with the local climbin chix, a Tsubo. So the Subaru has lots of wink-wink nudge-nudge here! [big Grin]

[ 11-13-2002, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: snoboy ]

Actually it was a 1967 hard-top Jeepster Commando, and it never was inadequate, except when I high-centered it on a grassy powerline one night in 1977.

Today I drive a '98 Suburban road-hog. I like it because:

1) The suspension is high enough to go most anywhere.

2) The whole family, plus one set of grandparents, can all fit in it.

3) It carries assorted climbing/sailing/biking gear in it at most times.

Matt; I'd have to agree with most here that if you want to move away from Toyota, Subaru would be a natural move. I like both of the Subarus I have owned and they have surprisingly good ground clearance. Probably could clear both the creekbeds to the base of the Granite Sidewalk.

quote:

Originally posted by snoboy:

There is a vibrator (yes that kind) brand that is popular with the local climbin chix, a
Tsubo
. So the Subaru has lots of wink-wink nudge-nudge here!
[big Grin]

OOOIIII! Im gona name my next new route Tsubo and it will be a chick magnet!

[Eek!][laf]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

quote:

Originally posted by snoboy:

There is a vibrator (yes that kind) brand that is popular with the local climbin chix, a
Tsubo
. So the Subaru has lots of wink-wink nudge-nudge here!
[big Grin]

OOOIIII! Im gona name my next new route Tsubo and it will be a chick magnet!

[Eek!][laf]
I got better for you "Tsubo Wrestler"

[big Grin][big Grin]

the ever popular '95 4runner, pretty new to me. Plenty of clearance which is good. High center of gravity [Frown] . Can sleep 2 comfortably with gate down or slightly cramped in rain mode. I have never had to park before the big trucks, but I have only had it for one spring so far. Before this I had an 88 integra which is pretty small for 4 but with decent tires is excellent in the snow but of course high centering was a huge problem. all that said I think you shoud get one of these:

-

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Quiz:

1. What kind of car or truck do you own?

2. How many times in the last year has it been inadequate for getting to a climb that you wanted to do?

3. On any of the occasions counted above, would higher clearance have actually made the difference?

4. On any of the occasions counted as a yes in #2, would 4 wheel drive or tire chains have made the difference (and which one)?

Answers:

1) Subaru Wagon + MB Unimog

2) Once for the 'mog

3) Maybe

4) A winch or more balls would have helped.

The audi is great. It wasn't that much more expensive than my golf and it was the same price as my friends subaru. BUT I still think the best climbing/backpacking/xcskiing/all around alpine activitie we've got is our old Pathfinder. Wouldn't want a new one but if you only want it for a few weekends a year go find a used one of these. Buy the car you want to drive everyday and pick up used rig for the fun and games

Having gone from a Ford Ranger to a Subaru Legacy wagon, so far the Sub is better. Granted, DFA doesn't go for them alpine river crossing approaches, but the thing seems to romp. People seem to always forget the regular Legacy L when talking Subarus and only think of the Outback, but keep in mind that the only functional difference between the two is an inch of extra clearance and "offroad" suspension (for tackling those vicious speed-bumps at the mall [Roll Eyes] ). The rest is faux-woodgrain paneling inside, an electric driver's seat, some plastic body panels, lighted vanity mirrors, and an "Outback" logo on the back. Is it worth another $4-5,000?

Either way, the Sub gets 5-10 mpg better than the truck for starters. It also drives way smoother and handles WAY better 'cause of the Boxer engine and AWD -- you definitely feel safe from an evasive driving standpoint. Fold down the rear seat back and take out the seat part and you can sleep two in it. The Amazing family Subaru has also been referred to as "the truck," as it has hauled a fairly healthy load of lumber home from Home Depot (making full use of the roof rack and some straps to hold the hatch back shut) with no appreciable lack of oomph on the road. And of course the legendary Subaru reliability (yep, still running strong after, uh, 5,000 miles! [big Grin] ).

Whatever you buy, now's a hell of a good time to do it, since everyone seems to be offering 0% financing for 60 months and the dealers are desparate to get rid of cars.

If you live in Seattle and drive a Subaru, how do you ever find your car? I swear every 3rd car is a Subaru Outback. I like Subarus, used to own one, but the 4-cyclinder boxer is so weak! The WRX would be fun... I don't think it's for you Matt.

As for Audis... my last car was an Audi A4 Quattro. Minx, I'm not sure if you're a car salesman or something, but these cars are not cheap. Fantastic to drive, but not cheap to buy or maintain. Also, the A4 is very small. No way Matt could go from a Toyota truck to an A4. Plus, you'll want to stay away from a car w/ an engine that requires premium gas like the A4. It costs more to fill up the tank on an A4 than it does on an SUV.

I can't really see you in a Pathfinder/FourRunner SUV type rig. Definitely more comfortable than your Toyota, but the mileage sucks.

It pains me to say this, but I'm with Fairweather. The VW Jetta wagon is pretty cool and is it the TDI version that gets close to 50 mpg? A definite option. The Passat is a great car too. German's know how to make a great driving car, though they require more upkeep than a Japanese car.

Mattp, I know you want a Volvo station wagon. Don't worry, your climbing buddies won't make too many jokes about you becoming all yuppie-fied and domestic. Volvos are tough, lots of room, good ride, semi reliable. How are the Law Offices of Perkins, Perkins and Perkins LLP doing? Are you ready to shell out for a new V70 or do you want an old 240? Go for the Volvo! You know you want to!

quote:

Originally posted by Matt:

Are you ready to shell out for a new V70 or do you want an old 240? Go for the Volvo! You know you want to!

Before the ranger was a Volvo 240. Partner bought it for $50. We sold it with 340,000 km (200K+ miles) on the clock for $800. The odometer hadn't worked for a few years so who knows what the real number was. Best depreciation ever! Cheap parts.

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

Quiz:

1. What kind of car or truck do you own?

2. How many times in the last year has it been inadequate for getting to a climb that you wanted to do?

3. On any of the occasions counted above, would higher clearance have actually made the difference?

4. On any of the occasions counted as a yes in #2, would 4 wheel drive or tire chains have made the difference (and which one)?

Why do I ask? I'm shopping for a new vehicle. And I'm thinking of buying a car and not a truck because I am tired of the stiff suspension and cramped quarters in my Toyota 4x4 and I believe a car is probably better suited to what I do with my vehicle 95% of the time: commute, run errands, and otherwise drive on well-maintained roads. Even most logging roads I drive are not all that bad and any car could make it up them, though I slept in my truck once in the last year and there were four times I was able to drive a half mile further in my 4x4 pickup than I would have with a normal car. I hauled construction materials 15 or 20 times, but I am wondering if even this does not justify driving an uncomfortable, bouncy, and less safe vehicle all of the time. I could probably just as easily have those materials delivered, or rent a truck a couple times a year.

Several threads have addressed these issues, and the discussion boils down to this: (1) if you really want to explore the remote parts of BC or go to the Maze district in Canyonlands, you probably want to take a high clearance 4x4 pickup; (2) if you ski a lot and don't want to have to mess around with chains, you gotta have all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive; and (3) if you are going to just about any popular climb, even including routes on remote peaks if those remote peaks are ones that are served by maintained trails, just about any car will get you to the trailhead.

just get a car so when you go over bumpy roads it doesn't make your hemroids flare up you uptight wus!

I've got a priceless '76 VW bus, green and white called alternately "the slug" (slow and green), "Rudy", or various 4-letter words. I'm the second owner, and based on receipts, it currently has 440,000 miles on it. We're on the second engine, which is currently being rebuilt, so we're not going anywhere fast for another couple of weeks or so. After that, though, the the heater will be fixed, and there'll be no stopping us!

Clearance is good, mileage is lousy (18-20 mpg), but I dig the "recyled vehicle" thing, and repairs and maintenance are really cheap (that is, parts are pretty cheap, and it's easy to do most stuff yourself). Snow traction is good (engine in back, over the drive wheels). Some day I'll camperize it, but now it's great for 5-person road trips, and with the middle seats out, you can fit a couple of kayaks inside. Would I suggest an old VW as a vehicle for MattP? No, not really! I mostly enjoy laughing at myself for owning and maintaining this thing... [big Grin]

I've got a 1985 Volvo 240 station wagon and it's still in good shape after 170K. Yeah, rear-wheel drive sucks, but I only had to back down from climbing a snowy hill to go skiing once, and that was with some shitty old tires with no weight in the back. It makes an excellent 4-season tent, with enough room for two fairly tall people in the back. It's too long and low to make it up, say, the Middle Fork Road, though.

quote:

4x4 does not help as much as many people think in snow. when you go to whistler, every vehicle in the ditch is an suv cause they all think that 4x4 got them covered. but you will spinout just as much with 4x4 as otherwise.

Yup...you're absolutely right. However when the chains required sign lights up over the passes, or up to Paradise, it's so much nicer to shift into 4 wheel drive than to have to put chains on.

I almost got an Outback this summer. The Toyota and the Subaru dealerships were right next to each other. After test driving the truck I walked across to drive an Outback. Just then a little old lady pulled up in one, exclaimed it was perfect for her and told the salesman she was going to buy it. I promptly turned around and bought the truck. (Okay...so I have issues...)

1. 90 Honda Accord, 88 MB 300E

2. 0

3. In the past, a couple of times

4. I've found 4wd is rarely necessary with good snow tires, but always really nice when the passes have chain reqs. Putting on chains blows.

A good, rugged 4wd wagon can go most anywhere that a standard stock SUV can go (eg Explorer, Blazer) – and won’t require much more thought than an SUV behind the wheel. With a 2wd you can get most places, you’ll just spend a lot of time& effort on the drive in.

As the Honda & Toyota wagons of your are gone, you don’t have much choice for a 4wd wagon though. Subarus about it. The Jettas are nice, but not particularly rugged. Add to that the Mexican VW’s aren’t of the highest quality. Audi’s aren’t bad but they are more expensive to maintain & run – and have most the same issues as VWs (same engines & trannies after all). The BMW & MB AWD’s aren’t useful for offroad.

Carl

I have a '91 Toyota p/u, regular cab, topper. I intend to keep it FOREVER. It sure is a pain to drive around (underpowered, poor cornering, only holds 2 people). So, when I can afford it, I will buy a little, older BMW or VW or Saab (MUST be european, I just like 'em).

This accomplishes several things: 1. both vehicles will be "recycled." I am a firm believer in buying a quality vehicle that will last forever with some maintenance rather than upgrading to progressively newer vehicles every few years. It is much cheaper to completely rebuild an old vehicle than to buy a brand new one for $20-30k. 2. I will have a vehicle that goes anywhere and I can sleep in it. 3. I will have a "daily commuter" / fun-to-drive vehicle. 4. If between these two vehicles, I don't have the 'right' one for the job, I am sure my climbing partner(s) will.

So, why don't you keep the old 'yota and buy a hybrid commuter or compact/economy car? Then you have the best of all worlds.

by the way, i agree with previous posts that 4wd is overrated. It CAN be useful, but many people get the false impression that they are indestructible with it. Thus, you always see SUVs spun off by the side of the road. Much more useful is fancy-schmancy "traction control" available on expensive euro cars as well as anti-lock brakes, neither of which I have ever owned, so what do I know?

My 2 cents.

[Moon]