[TR] Cutthroat Peak- East Couloir 3/24/2005

dberdinka

Climb: Cutthroat Peak-East Couloir

Date of Climb: 3/24/2005

Trip Report:

Bob and I climbed the East Couloir of Cutthroat on Thursday. We found the route to be in excellent condition.

After postholing up to our knees on the approach and wallowing up the start of the gulley we found lots of water ice and relatively compact neve on the rest of the route. Due to the low snow year there is an additional 40 meters of thin, somewhat poorly protected, ice below the “crux” pitch and more ice above. While the climbing was no harder than WI 3+/4- the ice is always thin, sometimes aerated, sometimes brittle. The crux pitch itself is beautiful, a steep smear in a nice corner with great rock gear and occasional stemming and chimneying.

We descended the west ridge, the first rappel station being difficult to find and reach. Its hidden just below the end of the slabby “a-cheval” ridgeline about 30’ west of the actual summit. Best done with a single rope.

Evidently NOAA is predicting snow levels more akin to February for the next couple weeks. If so I’d venture to guess that the route should remain in condition for quite sometime. Put it on the list!

I’ll post some photos later.

Gear Notes:

1 60m rope

stubbies

KBs and LAs

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very fun route. 2 notes. while starting the ice corner pretty substantial "spindrift" hit us. i would be cautious going up there after a snow fall.

after rapping down west ridge- i would recommend another way down. from the summit rap to the snow gulley between main summit and south buttress pinnicle. then just walk down the gulley and do 2 more raps on the bottom to the snow basin.