Climber Dog's

Lambone

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem with taking a dog to the crags: dog lovers can accidently untrain your pooch. Like giving it food before they eat, acting submissive to it, etc.

I used to hang with a woman who was in a wheelchair; her yellow lab Barnes was not only an expert helper but also the most personable dog I've ever met. Shannon had to train me about what and what not to do to prevent Barnes from having to go back to school. People would get pissed at her for telling them Barnes was working and couldn't play with them.

Granted, most family dogs aren't that highly trained, but enough casual attention can get a dog out of omega mode and into other people's business.

That said, a Border Collie - Pyr mix has got to be the coolest dog in the universe. You really should invest in a mountainside full of sheep for it.

training is an interesting thing. it can be convincing your doggy to obey, and sit and stay and such when you give liver treats, OR to be totally responsive to your actions. I am sure there is some combo. This may sound strange, but I try to make my relationship with Espresso less of "she's my dog" and more of "she's my best friend, my pal".

Yes, muff, she is the greatest, she is a boxer above most, represents the breed quite well ...

PLEASE, leave dogs at home while cragging some of us do not appreciate their presence. I don't want help eating my lunch (or an audience), don't like being greeted, sniffed, barked at, begged from, HATE them under my feet on approaches, HATE changing plans cause "my dog can't go there" [Roll Eyes] , and hate dog shit on the trail. MOST owners suck as well, your dog and their "tricks" may be cute to you but not to everyone.

Crackbolter said it best- "NO DOGS!!!"

* I am not a full-on dog hater, just hate them when I'm out climbing!

Oops forgot one- I don't need help "cleaning" my scraped up legs or hands!

[ 11-17-2002, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: slaphappy ]

My dog thinks he can climb. My partner and I had D-town all to ourselves one spring day, so I let the hound run free below. He sat and ate blueberries off the bushes for a couple hours while we were climbing. As we rapped off Silent Running, the hound scrambled up the steep bushy section to the left. We were at the first belay, a full 150' pitch of 5.7 off the ground, and he was parreled with us, seperated only by a swath of easy friction. He had the sense not to cross the gap and die, instead downclimbing to meet us at the bottom. I trust my dog's instincts, and give him the freedom to be a dog. But I always try to be aware of the overall situation, how people will react to him, and respond accordingly. Sometimes that means leashing him, sometime it means leaving him at home.

This is RURP.

Dogs are like kids. The kid's parents think they're the cutest little angels but the appreciation does not spread very far. At least kids usually do not crap in the trail. Several times, I have reached my vehicle to remove my footwear only to find my treads embedded with stinky dog crap which I have to spend time removing before I can even put them in the car.

On more than one occasion, I have seen the sleepy/passive-dog-at-the-base-of-the-crag nearly killed by falling rock and gear.

Dogs can also take over your life as in the already mentioned "I can't go climbing because my dog is lonely", or "someone's got to look after my dog", but that is your problem. My problem is that I do not want your crapping, sniffing, barking beast near me.

"Yah, but my dog is special!" No he is not.

RURP has spoken.

RURP wrote

quote:

"Dogs are like kids."

True, true. Or, as my parents used to say, "kids are like dogs." I guess that's why as kids we had to sleep out in the back yard. My brother and I each had a nice kennel. When they got tired of hearing us fight, they would put those electric "no-bark" dog collars on us. I tell you what, we were the quietest, most well behaved kids around. But they were responsible parents. When they would go hiking, they would leash us to a tree near the car, so we didn't inadvertently crap in the wilderness or scare wildlife, as kids are apt to do. I wish the forest service would put the proceeds from the trail pass to good work and hire some folks to clean up all that deer and coyote shit littering the woods. And speaking of shitting in the woods, will somebody please teach those fucking bears how to use the porta-potties?

Compared to when I was a kid, the dog-doo problem is now non-existent! Watching out for the landmines used to be a normal everyday part of playing football out at the park. Now that there isn't much of a problem though it makes it much more traumatic for us dogless to get poopsoiled as we are now desensitized.

Keep up the good work dogowners!!! I love watching you guys walking around holding a plastic bag as far away as possible from your bodies! I get great glee watching you stoop down to retrieve the gifts of your cute cuddly-wuddly friends. Thank you!!! [big Drink][big Drink][laf]

This is RURP:

"I wish the forest service would put the proceeds from the trail pass to good work and hire some folks to clean up all that deer and coyote shit littering the woods. And speaking of shitting in the woods, will somebody please teach those fucking bears how to use the porta-potties?"

No, Tricky-Guy, as you well know, I was referring specifically to DOGS crapping on trails (and parking areas) at climbing areas. (And anyone who knows the outdoors well can tell the difference between dog crap and that of coyotes, bears, deer, etc.) I've also seen (twice) dogs peeing or spraying on packs and ropes at a climbing area. What are you going to do, stop them mid-crap or spray? Dogs WILL crap and not all owners care whether it bothers anyone else. Taking a dog out for his "daily constitutional" to crap on someone else's lawn is an all-too common practice. You love your dog, and that is nice, but you can't expect everyone else to be as appreciative.

RURP has spoken.