Marburg Virus!

catbirdseat

It's on the loose in Angola. It's very similar to Ebola virus, except that you actually might survive it, although you might not want to survive if you get it.

I just got through reading The Hot Zone. The descriptions of what Marburg does to you just make your skin crawl.

Marburg-ems.jpg

Story

This is what they wear when scientists work with Level 4 viruses such as filoviruses:

p-67.jpg

What it does to its victims:

Don't click here if unless you have a strong stomach.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the strange thing about these viruses. They are so lethal to primates and in fact most mammals that they must be harbored in a very different species to which is not lethal, but no one has yet been able to figure out where it is the virus hides between outbreaks.

While some interesting questions were raised in this post, they are obviously not the questions of the day in virology. This demonstrated lack of familiarity with the contemporary issues of our subject does not speak well for this candidate's potential for success in our company. I do not suggest pursuing his recruitment further.

Sincerely,

-Virogen HR

what it the resivoir of infection and what is the vector of infection?

The answer to both is people. Viruses (yes even Marburg) can be latent in humans for years. Additionally, there is a ready stock of the proteo-xenovirus in an unsurveiled animal species; likely the chimpanzee.

What does "proteo-xenovirus" mean? Proteo means of course, protein, and xeno means foreign. Aren't all viruses foreign?

I once read a book, written many years ago about epidemic scourges through the ages and the author's attempts to assign causitive agents to various historical events. Traditionally, the Black Death was thought to be bubonic plague, but quite possibly it might have been a filovirus.

The scariest scenario is a filovirus that can spread via the air. All of these outbreaks in Africa were bloodborn, that is victims actually contacted virus particles while treating other victims or by ritual washing of the dead.

The monkey outbreak of Ebola depicted in the Hot Zone was scary because there was evidence that that particular virus spread through air. Fortunately for us, although very similar to Ebola Zaire antigenically, it turned out to be not contagious to humans.

If such a virus were to co-infect a human with Ebola the genetic material could mix to produce a strain that was both lethal and air borne. Fortuanately, co-infection is a lot less likely for this disease than for say influenza.

This is what they wear when scientists work with Level 4 viruses such as filoviruses:

p-67.jpg

[/url]

That sure looks like a suit for a bomb disposal technician. Tell me what is the tall collar and lead apron for? Have the viruses been known to explode? Also checking out the link, why was this picture in the Archives under the Clinton White House Web page?

What does "proteo-xenovirus" mean? Proteo means of course, protein, and xeno means foreign. Aren't all viruses foreign?

That was supposed to be "proto" meaning primitve ancestor, not "Proteo" meaning protein. Typo.

Viruses that have had a long history of interaction with their hosts are usually not lethal. It is actually to a virus' evolutionary advantage to NOT kill its host. It is when a virus makes the jump from one species to another and has not yet adapted to replicate in the new host without causing harm that these killer viruses result. Therefore, by xenovirus, I meant a virus like HIV that is basically a simian virus, but within recent evolutionary history has infected humans.

The truth behind all of this is that I just wanted to use a bunch of big words.

Alternately it could be your new sporto bouldering outfit, the NEW and IMPROVED spandex that will make you stronger everytime you climb. Reached a plateau? Try this suit. Suddenly your arms will be screaming like when you were a newbie and legs will be jackhammering and doing the sewing machine. You'll develop mutant hand strength. Look for your new climbing suit at your closest REI.

p-67.jpg

[/url]

That sure looks like a suit for a bomb disposal technician. Tell me what is the tall collar and lead apron for? Have the viruses been known to explode? Also checking out the link, why was this picture in the Archives under the Clinton White House Web page?

Adequate protection is required against high velocity viruses rolleyes.gif

imagePPU.JPG