trail work in denali

theolograem

I'll be clearing trail this summer for 2 months in Denali State Park and wondered if any of you had done this kind of work before or maybe you've spent time in this part of AK. I'm basically just interested in hearing more about what to expect while I am there and if any of you have good pointers for me, I'd love to hear them.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I spent a couple weeks backpacking in the national park a few years ago, no trails there, didn't go in the state park but it must be similar. You should expect to be woken up by giant animals outside your tent almost every night, if you're sleeping in a tent. You should expect mosquitos and swamps which really aren't that bad but sometimes you'll walk into an area where you can't get your pack off fast enough to get the bug net out. The other thing that suprised me up there was how big everything is and the obstacles you'll run into just trying to get from a to b. Maybe that won't be such a problem where you actually have trails, but icy river crossings, deep alder swamps, cliffs, grizzlies in your path, and just the fact that everything looks a lot closer than it is made for long days, extra long beacuse you can still be hiking at 11pm. I'd bring a pair of those knee high rubber boots. It will be a good time, eventually you can just go back to sleep when there is something large outside the tent.

Denali "State" park is a whole different deal than the National Park. The State park gets far fewer visitors and as you are aware actually has maintained trail. Theres no visitor center or anything. Its a really nice place and is famous for having beautiful views from a unique perspective of McKinley itself. Bring bear spray.

Actually just bring somebody slower than you.

haha, that's the smart man's thinking. I'm with you there. I've woken up with a pack of wolves outside my tent, but not a bear...yet. rolleyes.gif

I find the things inside the tent (smells) are usually worse than the large animals outside. hahaha.gif

is bear spray a good idea? i've heard mixed reviews on this one. the last thing i want to do is make the "man eating grizzley" wounded and furious, right? on the other hand, in the worst case scenario, playing dead sounds like no fun either. hmmm... maybe i'll just be sure to have that slow moving prey type pal along with me at all times.

is bear spray a good idea? i've heard mixed reviews on this one.

think about it. When a bear is charging you, wouldn't you at least rather have bear spray to use as a chance? It sure would be better than nothing. I have one, but i got it for free.