La Sportiva Trango S Evo GTX Question

Juan

I bought some of these at Second Ascent last summer before the addition of Gore Tex. I love them but for the fact that they leak like crazy. This fact has been noted in various publications. I have worn them maybe twenty days since purchase.

Marmot carries the new Evo version with Gore Tex. Can anyone tell me whether this is a meaningful solution to the problem; if it is I will get them.

Thanks,

John Sharp

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a pair of the new trango S model last week. I've only worn them twice so far. Once walking around town after I got them and once on a hike up to Lk Serene. So far so good. They hike really well, are comfortable w/o any hot spots and are flexible (so flexible that I worry if they'll front point ok).

When hiking up to the lake on Sunday I purposely walked through every water section on the trail I could find, and my feet stayed dry and warm (really warm .. which is good for me in an uninsulated boot because I get cold feet easily)

The most noticable thing about these boots is how light they are. They look big and burly, but they're lighter than some "light hikers". Taking them to the Tetons this summer and hope to do everything from easy rock to snow and ice couloirs .. we'll see.

Juan,

Use NIKWAX waterproofing paste, comes in a tube. "Seamgrip" the seams beforehand. Wash the boot before applying Nikwax. Just slap the thing all over the leather and synth parts, including the tongue, remove the laces.

I have not used the boot crossing creeks, but in slush, snow and rain they have only got wet around the ankles when w/o gaiters.

Same w/Trango ICE, similar construction - stepped into water under ice and had it for a while w/o realizing. To my great surprise did not get wet at all. Just use the paste, not the liquid stuff.

Hmmm. Thanks for both responses. They certainly are light and they rock climb well. For once in my life, I'll try to work with what I have -- using the paste -- instead of springing for the new ones. Yet.

Thanks again,

John