"Yellow Pad" vs. RidgeRest

Rafael_H

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say that this is one of the best threads ever on CC.com. rockband.gif

I have been spending quite a bit of time debating whether my RidgeRest was too bulky and whether I was breaking the "if you were warm, you brought too much" code. The yellow pad seems to fit with my requirements: 1. It has an "R" value. "R" values are cool, and every Alpinist should have one. 2. If you have one on your pack, you look legit. 3. They are a relatively realitively cheap accessory compared to say....a #6 Cam. 4. Did I mention they look good?

The problem is that they appear to only be available at MEC, up there in Canada. I was going to order something from MEC sometime ago, but they want something like $19 to ship to this 'Merican. Thats more than a yellow pad!

The problem is that they appear to only be available at MEC, up there in Canada.

Yes, but this adds to the hardman image.

"Oh, he's an INTERNATIONAL climber!!!" wink.gif

As for me, I like to strap an UltraLuxury Series LE Thermarest (with thermapocket pillow) onto the outside of my pack for those alpine bivies. It's like a magpies tail....

"Damn, if he can climb an extreme route like Das Toof with that much extra weight, he must be EXTRA HARD!!!"

Yeah.

Rafael, if they look better than everything else and you get one on the way back from WA Pass, pick one up for me. I trust your judgment.

Second Ascent sells black pads made in Switzerland by I-Don't-Remember-Who. Heard them tell a customer they're awesome. Anybody's checked those out?

drC