Croft a Rap bolter

LUCKY

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not new...he's rap bolted a ton of stuff a long time ago in owens...

you need to read the letter .... route in question was bolted on lead as he explains in he's rebuttle to a letter to the editor assuming the rap-bolt

I'm not talking about that route or letter... the_finger.gif

I seem to recall that at the time the photos of Croft on Airstream were first published there were nay-sayers* on this very site whining about how Peter C had bolted "totally protectable cracks" yelrotflmao.gif

* It may even have been Dwayner! hahaha.gif

Of all the famous climbers Croft is a soft-spoken inspiration of integrity thumbs_up.gif

It all comes down to , don't be Dis'n or talk'n smack about a route you have not done , as is often done on this sprayboard. rolleyes.gif

Old saying : Better silent a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt yelrotflmao.gif

Of all the famous climbers Croft is a soft-spoken inspiration of integrity thumbs_up.gif

It all comes down to , don't be Dis'n or talk'n smack about a route you have not done , as is often done on this sprayboard. rolleyes.gif

Old saying : Better silent a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt yelrotflmao.gif

Lucky said:

Because Croft can cling to rocks that others can't, he should be exempt from criticism when he leaves trash in the mountains.

Let's see....elite athlete vehemently defends his poor behavior and maintains claim of innocence. OJ got into trouble thinking that way.

This thread has the convergence of two opposites.

Pope hates all bolts

Lucky has never seen a bolt, chipped hold, or other artificial feature that he doesn't love.

Maybe the two of them will collide like matter and anti-matter and annihilate each other...one can only dream.

This thread has the convergence of two opposites.

Pope hates all bolts

Lucky has never seen a bolt, chipped hold, or other artificial feature that he doesn't love.

Maybe the two of them will collide like matter and anti-matter and annihilate each other...one can only dream.

There is bolted choss and some manufactured dung out there that I can't stand!

Dude you crack me up ...almost 5000 posts rolleyes.gif...your sooo METRO

Thanks for putting out the flame RH

Edited by LUCKY

Anyone care to post the letter?

Only for you Will ...

Peter Croft a Rap Bolter?

Now, far be it from me to question the competency of one of today’s elite, but the photo of Peter Croft on the Incredible Hulk’s Airstream {Hot Flashes, October 2004] makes me wonder if we are really prepared to attempt the routes that are being pushed today.

Unless my eyes deceive me, there is a beautiful, continuous, albeit thin crack between Mr. Croft’s legs akimbo. Yet, the rope passes not through desperately placed protection in these small wire havens but through a series of - let me venture to guess - rap-placed bolts.

Okay, I am an old-school old fart who ripped his milkman pants back in the days when camp 4 still had drive-in parking and lived through the disco era of Lycra (for my part, I do apologize … what were we thinking?!), but if anyone dared to produce a route involving excessive or unneeded bolts, well, Royal and his vertical police took care of things. Why not let the “unclimbable by today’s standards” wait until tomorrow’s gifted develop the skills to lead and place protection regardless of the difficulty?

- Named deleted

Lake Oswego, OR

Peter Croft Responds:

Deleted Name:

To begin with, it’s fine by me if you question my competency. I do it all the time. The crack you describe, however, is nonexistent. This pitch and the one above are the blankest corners I have seen anywhere. I couldn’t find a single place for tiny wires, tied off blades or even a RURP. And the wild guess you ventured regarding rap bolts was most certainly wild. I belayed Dave Nettle as he bolted both pitches on lead -a burly effort.

I understand your viewpoint but pictures can be misleading. I do, however take offense at your admitting - in a family oriented publication such as this - to wearing Lycra. My God man, it’s like admitting to cross-dressing at the Republican convention. Yes indeed, what were you thinking?