Sisters Traverse?

Kfoxpnw

I was wondering if anyone has done the full Sisters Traverse (range just west of baker). smirk.gif There is a lot of info in the forums about the west ridge of North Twin, which I did a few years ago, and some on south twin , but I could fing nothing on a traverse of the whole range. I was thinking South to north would be a little more climactic but also willing to got the other way if that works out better. I know about all the road issues on both ends just looking for beta on Length, difficulty, and if all the smaller peaks south of the big pair are really worth doing.

I'm hoping to do the traverse as a solo in the late spring/ early summer.

Or better yet, what is your favorite cascades solo??

Criteria:1->3 days, not too much glacier travel (yes vauge), rock to very low fifth class, snow to 50 deg. And an all around sweet time. Not afraid of bushwacking or the like.

Thanks for the info,

Kevin Fox HCL.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had the desire to do the full traverse as well. 14 named summits and a handful of named pinnacles. Unfortunately access from the south end is now completely blocked in Hamilton. Maybe you can find a way in from FSR 12 off Baker Lake?

Evidently Dallas Kloke did the whole traverse minus the North Twin due to bee stings? Supposedly he went back and completed it. Someone should ask the guy.

Barbara Peak at the southern end looks fine but tiny and hard to get too.

Over the weekend I hiked up to Elbow Lake, very nice trail and forest, completely different feel than the clear-cut wreck on the west side of the range.

I think the traverse to do would be too....

Leave a bike at the bridge over the middle fork of the Nooksack. Then drive up to and hike the trail to Elbow Lake. Follow the high ridge in from Elbow Lake, then drop down and left to the mythical East Buttress of Cinderella. From the top of Cinderella continue north over Skookum, S and N Twin. Descend W Ridge of N Twin and normal approach back to bike. 6 mile ride brings you back too car. Could be done in a long day if you were moving fast. This year should be good to go pretty darn soon.

I think a good way to get to the South End is via Road 12 to Boot Lake Pass.

However, I'm doing the traverse in April, and the most straight forward way, I think, is just to hike up the middle fork as usual for the Twin, leave bikes there, and huff the hike on logging roads to the south end, do the complete traverse and ride out.

1st day: hike to south end and gain lower lakes.

2nd day: Traverse to Boot Lake

3rd day, long day, finish traverse.

I think in late summer, the whole traverse could easily be done in two days car to car.

A one day car to car doesn't seem impossible.

I've done the N. Twin car to car from middle fork gate via the South Face and Decended the West Ridge in 5.5 hours, my friend Pat did the W ridge up and down in 4.5 hours and I believe Layton did it even faster and decended the N. Face. Considering that (that a lot of people are in better shape than me), a well fit human could bike the approach, run the roads to the south and scramble like hell the whole traverse all in 24 hours? From what I saw it looks like Colin could pull it off.

Who was the guy who did the Tetons in a day? Alex Lowe?

That seemed way more involved. The Sisters Range in a day WILL go.

hehe

That is a great trail Darin. I have hiked it many a times and I think I can count the people I have seen on one hand.

I got in on the south side and did some stuff down by Last Sister area one summer and was able to drive as far as I could. Unfortunately (or fortunately) they are enforcing the gate closures more vigorously.

I'm not sure where Clearwater Creek is. The road is gated, to protect Elk herds I think, at Wallace Creek approximately 10 miles from Mosquito Lake Road. Elbow Lake Trail is maybe another mile further down the road.

If you were able to make it to the gate in your car, then you were able to make it past the rockslide. Which means they cleaned it up. Thanks!

There should still be a flagged route heading to Lake Wiseman from just North of Elbow Lake. Once at Lake Wiseman, the ridge is easy to get to up a mellow snow slow early season. I've traversed the ridge a little ways, but not more than 1/4 mile W. from Wiseman. Looked fun, but didn't have enough time.

One can also approach that ridge from Road 12. About 1/2 mile before Elbow Lake, from Road 12, take a left on the old Pioneer Camp Trail. Follow this ambandoned, but in good shape and serene trail across a creek, up switchbacks and back south. When the trail starts to curve back W. and when you are on the "corner" of the hill, head straight up through the woods (easy brush) for half an hour or so to rock, scrubs and heather. Hike and scramble on this ridge avoiding minor difficulties by passing on the south flanks. After a while, you can see Lake Wiseman below from the ridge crest. You can continue on to a nice point on the ridge and even further to The Sisters Crest proper. The ridge appears to be pretty sharp in areas past the lake view. I'd reccomend a rope, slings, larger stoppers sizes and tricams to the willing adventurer continueing to the Sisters Crest.

• 11 years later...

I think the traverse to do would be too....

Leave a bike at the bridge over the middle fork of the Nooksack. Then drive up to and hike the trail to Elbow Lake. Follow the high ridge in from Elbow Lake, then drop down and left to the mythical East Buttress of Cinderella. From the top of Cinderella continue north over Skookum, S and N Twin. Descend W Ridge of N Twin and normal approach back to bike. 6 mile ride brings you back too car. Could be done in a long day if you were moving fast. This year should be good to go pretty darn soon.

Anyone ever done this or something similar?