Terri Schiavo Thread

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, I thought that this story was rather well reported. The smiling-comagirl footage was given to the media by the parents, who took great pains and hours of footage to get it. I think the media was trying to avoid being manipulated by the schindlers, and that's why they changed the image.

Maybe there is no way to report a story without looking like you are choosing sides. Anyone with journalism experience?

changed the image.

I don't watch television, and I have yet to see a still photo of Terri Schiavo post-1990 other than the well known single image gleaned from hours of video by the parents, calculated to make her appear responsive. I read 2 newspapers and sometimes scan Google News. If the media wanted to "change the image" they sure didn't try very hard. IMO the media finally got some good facts out in this case, but the imagery was deceiving (at least, it was in conflict with stated facts about the case) and in this respect they could have done better.

Cases like that are why it is a good idea to have a living will so as to express what YOU would like to be done about your case, instead of letting others decide. I personnally have chosen not to be maintained in such a state, but it is a personal choice, and I don't feel any way re: someone else's decision of wanting to be maintained. To each his/her choice.

Oh, and by the way, living will software are selling like hotcakes these days smile.gif

drC

Cases like that are why it is a good idea to have a living will so as to express what YOU would like to be done about your case, instead of letting others decide.

Exactly. From the blathering in this thread, you'd think that it was cut and dry what Terri wanted. That's the whole problem - there's reasonable doubt that she ever specified what she wanted, and there is certainly no living will.

The word of a spouse? With the US divorce rate of 50% and all the abusive, unhealthy relationships out there, I am bewildered at how readily all the cheerleaders for tube-pulling cite the spouse's "word". And the spouse's "word" is not bolstered somehow by CCCom-member's opinions that someone is a vegetable with a useless life, or that Fox news runs propaganda video clips, or whatever the fuck annoys you about the story today. All we know for sure is that the spouse wanted Terri to be "unplugged" and the parents to keep her "plugged". Nobody knows what Terri wanted, so the debate is endless, as evidenced by the news coverage.

The word of a spouse? With the US divorce rate of 50% and all the abusive, unhealthy relationships out there, I am bewildered at how readily all the cheerleaders for tube-pulling cite the spouse's "word".

Marriage is a holy covenant sanctioned by God himself,KK!

What are you, some kind of fag?

Marriage is a holy covenant sanctioned by God himself,KK!

You liberals all need to take off your hate-infused secular blinders for once. Instead of retorting with some stupid stereotype and basing your opinion on an obtuse, contrarian mentality, pull your head out of your ass and think independently of your prejudices. moon.gif

At the end someone gets to a make a decision about what is in someone's best interests when that person can't decided for themselves. The courts have always held up that it should be the spouse. Are you saying that with all the dysfunctional screwed up familys in this country parents are necessarily more qualified?

As well put by my sister the nearly a dr. "Parents will never stop parenting." They will always want to do what THEY think is best for her, not necessarily what she would want for herself. I think the spouse who you've been living with day in day out for the last however many years has a better idea of your wishes than parents whom you see a few times a year, and will always think of you as their little baby. (Your wife excluded Dr. Crash tongue.gif)

If he had a history of being an a mentally or emotionally abusive asshole, I imagine they would have transfered guardianship a long time ago.

Is there anyone present here, who would rather have been kept alive in that state then had the plug pulled? If so speak up cause everyone i've talked to has said pull the damn thing, with the intent that they dont' want to exist like that and wouldn't want to keep their friends and family from grieving and moving on. Now she'll always be remembered and thought of as quasi-vegetable instead of the beautiful person she was before.

The saddest part of watching that debacle was seeing how the parent's hopes and suffereing were falsely encouraged to further a political agenda. "Oh yeah, Mr. Schindler, she defintely smiled at you. Yep she's trying to talk all right."

Heartless.

The doctors who told the parents and the courts that she could recover should lose their license and go to jail.

That women sat in a bed/chair for 15 years and was a vegetable the whole time. And she didn't get one bed sore.

What amazes me in every case of this kind, usually involving right to life people, is how much energy and money and time is spent trying to save people who are arguably not alive when there are millions of LIVING people out there, home and abroad, that desperately need help.

Not that she has died, I wonder where Jesse Jackson will show up next... He sure used this as a great photo op...

Franky say:

Rhymin' Man,

Tall and tan,

Rhyme or reason,

Play your hand --

Rhyme on this -- rhyme on that

Oh, you naughty Democrat!

They say when Doctor King got shot,

Jesse hatched an evil plot,

Dipped his hands in the Doctor's blood,

'N rubbed his shirt like playin' with mud

Looked around for all the press

'N said: "Check me out, my name is Jess!

I'll be known from towns 'n farms --

Doctor King died in my arms!"

Rhymin' Man,

Tall and tan,

Rhyme or reason,

Play your hand --

Rhyme on this -- rhyme on that

Oh, you naughty Democrat!

A few years later, legend says,

Rhymin' man made a run for Prez

Farrakhan made him a clown,

Over there near Hymie-Town