Terri Schiavo Thread

Dave_Schuldt

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kurt, I second that.

When I was in the airport a week ago, I was trying to rid myself of the constant drone of CNN and Terry Schiavo. I sat down and pulled out my headphones to crank on Bad Religion. At that point, I heard someone behind me mutter, "See, look at that! She's smiling!" Annoyed, I retorted, "And clouds sometimes look like ducks."

They were mystified by my comment, so I explained the idea of consistent, reproducible behavior. Then they replied that the parents think their daughter responds to them. I retorted, "That's human nature. That's what they want to believe. How many times have I thought that a girl liked me but she didn't?"

In the next few minutes, I engaged in a conversation with three preachers on their way to do missionary work in Kenya. They were adamant that this case was brought on by the abortionists and that if her life was not saved, that all old people would start to be killed off. They were shocked to find out that I did not get my news from Fox or Drudge Report, the only middle-of-the-road sources.

Finally I was able to break out of the conversation and drown my ears in some punk.

I did notice that too.. I think the media was trying to show that she was not brain dead, and is a real person and try to get more empathy from the general public, to try to get something else done.... I am glad she has died it is best for her. I am also very sick of hearing about this in the news. But I know that the media will just take the next thing and drive us silly with that too.

Federal Judge Condemns Intervention in Schiavo Case

NYTIMES:

The 11th Circuit court's decision, signed by Chief Judge J. L. Edmondson, was only a sentence long. But in a concurring opinion, Judge Stanley F. Birch Jr., appointed by the first President Bush in 1990, wrote that federal courts had no jurisdiction in the case and that the law enacted by Congress and President Bush allowing the Schindlers to seek a federal court review was unconstitutional.

"When the fervor of political passions moves the executive and legislative branches to act in ways inimical to basic constitutional principles, it is the duty of the judiciary to intervene," wrote Judge Birch, who has a reputation as consistently conservative. "If sacrifices to the independence of the judiciary are permitted today, precedent is established for the constitutional transgressions of tomorrow."

Judge Birch said he had not had time before now to consider the constitutionality of the law, which Congress passed and Mr. Bush signed before dawn March 21, because of "the rapid developments and sensitivities in this case." The 11th Circuit court considered and rejected several appeals from the Schindlers last week after Judge James D. Whittemore of Federal District Court in Tampa denied their motions.

In particular, Judge Birch wrote, a provision of the new law requiring a fresh federal review of all the evidence presented in the case made it unconstitutional. Because that provision constitutes "legislative dictation of how a federal court should exercise its judicial functions," he wrote, it "invades the province of the judiciary and violates the separation of powers principle."

Terri Schiavo R.I.P.

What image could you show and stay neutral? Smiling coma victim or non-responsive coma victim?

Not that I'd make a habit of defending the news media...

Anyway, let's make a point of not mourning. Terri died quite a while ago.

has anyone else noticed that the media has started showing a picture of her before the brain damage with a lot of it's coverage instead of the one we kept seeing with her in her hospice bed?