LET’S BUY A CRAG! Funds needed by April 28

mattp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't gotten the end-of-the-week total from TPL, but based just on contributions I know about, we're within $2,000. (So, we're almost certainly closer than that.)

We are VERY CLOSE and we have ONE WEEK TO GO. Please help, if you haven't already!

Nice job to all involved. Do I understand the article correctly that the entire purchase price was funded from a single donation? That's great. Hopefullly the rest of the donations will be enough to provide the future funds necessary to maintain the purchase for awhile! grin.gif

The large grant was predicated on a showing of interest and support from the climbing community, and we have had a tremendous showing of support from all of you.

A separate grant from the Access Fund has not come through yet, and there is some concern that they may not fund the full amount, so donations are still needed -- but THANK YOU ALL!

The actual history of this deal is a little complicated, but the original "grant" from the Icicle Fund was $10,000.00 short of the purchase price, and there was an additional $6,000.00 shortfall for the $20,000.00 "endowment" that the Land Trust needed to have in order to take posession of the land (they had to have a fund for ongoing expenses like taxes and insurance and stuff). That is where the Washington Climbers Coalition campaign (and all of you who actually kicked in the cash) came in.

Cards were traded along the way, so that in the end it is technically correct that the Icicle Fund paid the purchase price and climbers have put up more than half of that endowment.

Hi all, this is Kristin with TPL. Matt is correct, as with most land acquisition projects, the deals are complex and there is hardly ever one funding source. I'm sorry the article in the Seattle PI didn't acurately capture the amazing grassroots fundraising that has taken place. I'm hoping this e-mail will convey my sincere "THANK YOU" to all who contributed and made this project a success. You know who you are!! bigdrink.gif

Just to recap: The $226,000 needed to purchase the property is secure and we'll be buying the property next week. We needed to raise $20,000 for a stewardship endowment to go towards the Chelan Douglas Land Trust - $11,647 in gifts and pledges has been raised from 150 donors. Our goal was $8,500 by April 28. I'm very happy to say we've exceeded the goal.

Some of you have asked if donations are still being accepted and the short answer is yes. TPL still needs to raise about $5,000 to complete the stewardship endowment, and we're counting on a grant from the Access Fund. However, the Fund doesn't meet until June to review the proposals.

As always, feel free to call me with any questions (541) 382-2092. And again "THANK YOU" for your support, contributions, kind words and creative fund raising techniques.

In case you missed it in Kristin's message:

Due to a PHENOMENAL response the past few days (including dkemp raising more than $900 last night at his homebrew event!), we have now raised $11,647 ! That blows away our goal of raising $8500!

To remind you, when we started out we were $16,000 short of the complete funding package. The WCC set a goal to raise $8500, and TPL submitted a grant request to the Access Fund for $7500. So, every dollar we've raised beyond $8500 has reduced the money we need the Access Fund to cough up--a good thing!

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO'S CONTRIBUTED AND HELPED! And, a special thanks to Jon for his generous offer to retailers and our ability to get the word out through cc.com!

Andy Fitz

Washington Climbers Coalition