LET’S BUY A CRAG! Funds needed by April 28

mattp

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A BIG "Thank You" from the folks at the Trust for Public Land (TPL) to all those who have donated to this project, and are considering donating. The response in such a short period of time has been great.

We ARE going to buy this property!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

As of the end of the day Thursday, March 24, the Trust for Public Land had gotten in $2,120 from climbers. That's about a quarter of the way toward our minimum goal ($8,500) in just seven days! grin.gif

We still need to raise at least $6,380 by the end of April. And, the money so far has come from just 17 climbers. We can do better than that! Please chip in whatever you can afford--$10, $25, $50, whatever--to help out. We CAN do this!

Andy Fitz, Washington Climbers Coalition

I understand, for many it IS $25, full weekend's gas. Also the crags are poison ivy infested crap, even Trundle Dome is not worth the hike to me. Now if it was Index then it'd be a different story... Not!

I believe it is a matter of precedent. Who knows, when the time comes for Index (and it will) the choice might not even be there: "...Phase One goes here, Two - there...granite boulevard... What? Climbing? Phase Three will have an indoor climbing gym..."

Secondly, I don't want to see more housing there, with more f-ed up rules, speed traps ("watch for baaaabies"), parking limitations.

Who knows, loose the land and the trend will be more and more limitations, preserve - and that might be a seed for further ownership possibilities in our state.

Check's in the mail smile.gif

I just got a very nice hand written thank you card from Rebecca Lavigne, Trust for Public Lands.

Not to knock a kind gesture, but shouldn't the money be put toward the cause instead of postage? Using mattp's original figure of 350 climbers donating times .23 for each postcard stamp, the total comes to $80.50. Maybe that amount wouldn't make the difference between the deal being closed or falling through, but I like to think that every bit counts.

Copying this to Events...-dox...

Inspired by the Washington Climbers Coalition, the Bushwhacker Climbing Club invites everyone and their brother to a Homebrew/Potluck Fundraiser party for TPL's Sam Hill effort. Please join me and my lovely wife Cynthia Tuesday evening April 26 at our house on Phinney Ridge.

Please note that this is a fundraiser. Send $25 to TPL and bring your receipt (the thank you card is good) for entry to the party. You could bring a check that night made out to TPL, but it would be better to send it in now directly to TPL, then just bring your receipt. You could also bring cash that night and I'll see that it gets to TPL.

We'll have a couple kegs of homebrewed ale (its fermenting in my kitchen right now), and I'll go get another keg from Hales if that runs out. The Bushwhacker club will provide support in the form of cups and plates and tarps for the backyard. You should bring potluck stuff to share - something from the deli section, Chinese takeout, PB&J sammiches, a bucket of KFC, HC HCL.gif - whatever you want.

I realize that the date for this gig is only two days from the cutoff for TPL's option for the land. But its the time that works for me, so there you go.

I look forward to seeing familiar cc.com'ers and also meeting a bunch of new people - and dont forget to bring your brother! We'll save the crags, one homebrew at a time.

Doxey Kemp

What: Homebrew/Potluck Fundraiser for TPL Sam Hill campaign

When: Tuesday night April 26, 7:00 - ???

Where: Doxey and Cynthia's house on Phinney Ridge

Important note! If you drink, dont drive. Please make arrangements for a safe ride home, or bring your sleeping bag and crash on our couch, the floor or in the backyard.

-Dox

Edited by dkemp

Cross posted:

A quick note:

Have some humility and ask your friends personally in an email. I sent the following out to my climbing friends who I know will appreciate saving Sam Hill. We're so frickin' close! Lets do this!

4/15/05

To: My climbing buddies

RE: Icicle Canyon/Sam Hill Public Land Purchase

Howdy ya'll. I'll cut to the chase.

The short of it is I'd like you to make a donation to a campaign to purchase the Sam Hill crag in the Icicle. I know it might seem tacky to essentially ask freiends for money, but I figured you folks would understand. I've climbed with you all and know you really appreciate climbing and in particular, the Icicle. The campaign is VERY close (only $4000 remaining on a $226,000 total!) and it's be a shame to see the whole thing flop so close to success. I'll save the details for the pros (see below) and finish by saying I'm passing this on as a personal request, not as a mass email solicitation. Also, thanks to you who have already contributed. I bet many of you have. finally, see WAY below for some personal info...

dave

ps: from the Kramar guide I counted 32 stars (!) and 18 routes in the 5.8 to 5.10 range. Nice!

The quick and dirty:

send a check to (it took me four minutes including finding a pen):

The Trust for Public Land

Attn: Rebecca Lavigne - Sam Hill Project

1011 Western Ave. Suite 605

Seattle, WA 98104

They also do credit card, give receipts.. all that stuff a top notch group does. Check

http://www.washingtonclimbers.org/CurrentArea/SamHill/donorform.pdf

for the specifics.

Also, some basic info on the campaign:

http://www.washingtonclimbers.org/Current/SamHill

http://www.washingtonclimbers.org/CurrentArea/SamHill/TPLPage.pdf

And now for the personal stuff:

I've been hanging in the 'ham over winter and... snip

If you haven't already pitched in, please help in raising the last $4,000 to buy a Leavenworth climbing area!

Here's a recap: For the past month, the Washington Climbers Coalition (WCC) has been working to help purchase 40 acres on which Sam Hill, Trundle Dome, and the Fridge boulder are located in Icicle Creek Canyon. The Trust for Public Land (TPL) has been working for some time to buy the parcel. TPL intends to transfer the land to the Chelan-Douglas Land Trust. Climbing access will be preserved.

Through grants, TPL gained $216,000 toward the $226,000 purchase price, and the Land Trust gained $14,000 toward the $20,000 it needs as "stewardship money" to cover long-term taxes, insurance, and monitoring costs. That left a $16,000 gap to fill. That's where climbers come in.

TPL has submitted a $7500 grant request to the Access Fund. In addition, last month the WCC kicked off an effort to raise the remaining $8500.

To date, we've raised about half the $8500. We have approximately two weeks (until the end of the month) to raise the rest of the money! So, we need your help!

We're asking two things of you:

1) If you haven't already, please contribute to the fundraising effort. Any amount will help: $25, $50, or more. You can send a check to:

The Trust for Public Land

Attn: Rebecca Lavigne - Sam Hill Project

1011 Western Ave., Suite 605

Seattle, WA 98104

Please make your check out to "TPL--Sam Hill project." Or, you can go directly to washingtonclimbers.org for more information, including a donor form to donate by credit card.

2) Please help reach out to other climbers. Forward this message onto other folks. Make sure your local gyms and shops have a flyer about the project, which you can download from washingtonclimbers.org

This is a good project and we are very close to success. We hope you will help out.

Andy Fitz

Washington Climbers Coalition

www.washingtonclimbers.org

Update:

$300 came into TPL in today's mail. In addition, I'm directly aware of contributions of $500, $150, and $25 on the way. That basically ups us another $1,000, so we have less than $3500 to go! We're getting closer--please keep it coming!!