LET’S BUY A CRAG! Funds needed by April 28

mattp

The Trust for Public Lands seeks to purchase some property in Icicle Creek that contains several popular climbs, including Ski Track Cracks, Groping Oprah’s Naval, Don’t Forget Arete, and Fridge Boulder. The land will be developed and climbing access will disappear if they can’t raise the needed funds.

YOU can help.

The Washington Climbers Coalition seeks to raise at least $8500 toward the purchase. If just 350 climbers contribute $25 apiece, we can reach our goal. That’s less than many climbers spend on gas and food for a day of climbing!

There's one hitch: we must raise the money by April 28th or the deal they've cobbled together will fall through.

For more information, go to www.washingtonclimbers.org. There’s a pointer on the front page.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please send your check for $25, more than $25, or whatever you can afford to:

The Trust for Public Land Attn: Rebecca Lavigne - Sam Hill Project 1011 Western Ave., Suite 605 Seattle, WA 98104

This acquisition would afffect Trundle Dome as well as the areas/climbs that Matt mentioned above. Here is a pic of BobbyPeru on the supercool "Piller de Cowboy Boot" on Trundle Dome. Note the sweet handcrack on the right side of the boot:

444807-Cowboy.jpg

444807-Cowboy.jpg.c84fef7e01d638ae70c9d517641affba.jpg

That stuff is on private land? Fuck, I'm in, I'll pony up Mr. Franklin to keep that stuff accessible. Bigwalling, you've never been to the Icicle? Index is pretty bitchen, but the Icicle is probably the best dispersed cragging in the state, it'd be a heinous crime to lose it bit by bit.

Sounds reasonable, but if it falls thru what happens to our $?

It's like putting money in the stock market--you need to have faith in your fellow investors. $8500 is NOT that much to raise: it's 350 people chipping in $25 apiece. Already today, I'm aware of one person who's donated $1,000, two people who've each given $100, and one person giving $50. Another just e-mailed me saying he wanted to pledge $100. I'm planning to cut a check myself for $150. So, that's $1500 right there. Not even through our first day, we're down to needing 280 climbers at $25 each.

We can make this happen. For everyone on this site who talks about access, here's a chance to something about it!

Now back to the debate about ticks...

HA, never climbed out at Icicle, i don't really see the need with index so close. 40 minutes or a couple hours... hmm. It is bug infested but no ticks. Chossy... ah, not really

Someday when you're rich and old with a dependable car you'll like Levenworth. wink.gif

Index does rule, but Trundle dome's cool too.

Please send your check for $25, more than $25, or whatever you can afford to:

The Trust for Public Land Attn: Rebecca Lavigne - Sam Hill Project 1011 Western Ave., Suite 605 Seattle, WA 98104

This acquisition would afffect Trundle Dome as well as the areas/climbs that Matt mentioned above. Here is a pic of BobbyPeru on the supercool "Piller de Cowboy Boot" on Trundle Dome. Note the sweet handcrack on the right side of the boot:

444807-Cowboy.jpg

Sent mine in! C'mon, let's keep up the momentum! bigdrink.gif

If you work in or own a climbing shop or related business, or know someone who does, I will give you free sponsorship/advertising relative to the amount you donate. With 40,000 visitors to this website a month your generocity won't go unnoticed.

How about a kegger somewhere (perhaps in conjunction with spring ski in) and people can donate money for the cause in exchange for free beer? If only we knew someone willing to donate a few kegs to help raise funds to save this crag ( wink.gif). Props to the WCC and all those who have donated for making a difference!

If you work in or own a climbing shop or related business, or know someone who does, I will give you free sponsorship/advertising relative to the amount you donate. With 40,000 visitors to this website a month your generocity won't go unnoticed.

Ain't Dru responsible for about 25,000 of those? (Add another 5,000 for his various manisfestations.)