Steroids

ChrisT

From what I have read so far it sounds like a small but high profile group of offenders led by Jose Canseco, the self appointed proselytizer of steroid use (who once reached 255 hellno3d.gif). Makes me appreciate players like Ichiro (5'9" - 172) and leads me to wonder: Is this a uniquely American problem?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the number of offenders in baseball was a "small group." Probably 300 players +/- 100 over the last 15 years.

Canseco is an ass (always was), but he's probably not making it up either. We all want our hero players to not have used them. Our bias might color our convictions toward them.

It sounds like Canseco introduced it to alot of other players (including McGwire) and got them hooked. It's funny because I remember when I first saw Canseco with the A's and thinking how gigantic he looked - all the other players around him looked like dwarfs by comparison.

Is this a uniquely American problem?

Absolutely not. Doping was invented by the Russians, who pretty much developed the best ways to train and cheat. The whole thing is pretty sad really. These guys make millions a year, they cheat, they get caught cheating and nothing happens to them. In a way I don't blame them though, we live in a world where everyone has to be chemically or cosmetically enhanced in order to perform better or feel better about themselves. Barry Bonds is a jackass though, fuck that guy. thumbs_down.gif

What is so irrelevant about it?

The only real reason I can fathom as to why this should be a big govt. priority (Senate committee hearings hellno3d.gif !!!) is because of the possible "popular athletes influencing kids to do stupid things to their bodies" concerns. That, of course, has direct parallels to dope and "cane".

I assume the main reason many of you are all upset about this is because it is "cheating". Or it makes it more difficult for atheletes to compete at the highest level without trashing their bodies. Should that really be a big senate priority? This problem is the athletes' problem. Let them take care of it. Should our government be spending their time (our money) holding hearings over what rules should be instituted in playing a game?

Do you think it is our government's mandate to legislate how much of a risk one takes to excel in a certain sport? If so, perhaps football shouldn't even be allowed, or at least remove the punt return play and that dangerous tackling shocked.gif! How about boxing?

How about .... climbing!!!!

Perhaps we need a Senate committee to investigate these climbers who run it out far too much in order to get big sponsorships! Soloing needs to be outlawed because it is unfair to those unwilling to make some moves 15 feet above their last piece of pro.

Am I not getting something here? What exactly is the big problem with professional athletes using steroids? Talk a bout a nanny state rolleyes.gif.

What is so irrelevant about it?

Baseball is a competitive sport. Taking steroids is an unfair advantage. Smoking a joint when you're climbing for yourself has nothing to do with this. People pay good money to watch a fair baseball game. It's also a problem in just about every other sport. I don't want to buy a ticket to see who's better at getting away with doping, I want to see the better athlete. It's definitely not for Congress to get involved in, though.

The fact that in the NBA a player can test positive for steroids five times before he is suspended for a year speaks to how sad and widespread the problem is.

Next stop: The All Drugs Olympics:

Kevin Nealon: Dennis, getting ready to lift now is Sergei Akmudov of the Soviet Union. His trainer has told me that he's taken antibolic steroids, Novacaine, Nyquil, Darvon, and some sort of fish paralyzer. Also, I believe he's had a few cocktails within the last hour or so. All of this is, of course, perfectly legal at the All-Drug Olympics, in fact it's encouraged. Akmudov is getting set now, he's going for a cleaning jerk of over 1500 pounds, which would triple the existing world record. That's an awful lot of weight, Dennis, and here he goes.

[ Kevin steps aside to reveal the steroid-bulked athlete bent over to lift the 1500 lbs. weight. Sergei tightens his grip on the barbells and pulls up, but instead of lifting the weights, his arms are pulled off and blood squirts ferociously out of his pulpy stubs.

Kevin Nealon: Oh! He pulled his arms off! He's pulled his arms off, that's gotta be disappointing to the big Russian! [ Sergei's trainer wraps a towel around him ] You know, you hate to see something like this happen, Dennis! He probably doesn't have that much pain right now, but I think tomorrow he's really gonna feel that, Dennis! Back to you!

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Remember only winners get the $$$$.

Steroids in sports yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif who cares. If they want to deal with all the known and unknown long term side efects that's thier problem.

So why are athletes held up as good examples to are kids anyway? After all thier just like anyone else trying to make a buck. We all cheat and work the system to get ahead or get a few more $$ so why can't they? Why should they be better than anyone else?

Yes. I keep reading the news and thinking "What the hell is Congress doing involved in this?" Aren't there some wars going on or something?

I agree this is the highest priority issue for the Senate debate. Steroids are the end of western civilization, right now. Nothing higher in priority, we gotta get them sports star druggies, they are under the influence of drugs after all.

No, there is no hypocracy in Washington DC, you won't see a single elected official from Capital Hill in bars today (they all know that alchol isn't a drug, oh BTW "a Happy St. Patty's Day to you"). Rest easy tonight because Congress is still up in the Capitol talking about matters of National security, working well into the night of St. Patty's Day. Damn them Al Queda terrorists, Bin Laden SOBs pushing mind altering drugs on our youth, where is my Jamison. B'Gory, I hope you are having a fine day laddy bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif Sleep well, cause here in DC we are are saving the Country tonight. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Edited by Ducknut