Vantage Guide

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come I can climb Red M&M (supposed 5.12a, according to the guide book) and lead most traditional 5.11 climbs at Vantage, but I cant climb like 10d and up in L-worth...top roped...Hmmmm...

Whatever the guide book says, bump the grade down at least 2 letters. For example, 5.11 climbs are really 10b climbs. wink.gif

I have lead almost every traditional route on Sunshine Wall, with the exception of Red M&M, and a few others. Back when I carred about hard shit (like 2 months ago), my goal was to lead Red M&M. It is not hard to place pro in. It just takes small shit which freaks most people out. For some reason people would rather fall on a black diamond number 5 camalot, then a number 1 wired nut. rolleyes.gif Seriously though, back when I was interested in doing it, I saw this old guy lead it and he put pro in about every three feet. The crack is there! And Red was just one example, I can lead most every 11 there without to much problem...(Stems and Seeds, Shrinking Ball Disease, Bob's Your Uncle, etc) which means they are not 11's. I cant lead 11's anywhere else... tongue.gif

One reason why ratings may seem soft at Vantage is that so many climbs feature stemming moves, which for some people, especially tall people, make the climbs easier. In other words, the ratings at Vantage are more subjective than at Leavenworth. The other thing is that many climbs are rated assuming that they are led in a certain way, for example, an adjacent crack might be off limits because it would make a given climb a lot easier if you use it. Yoder's guide usually tells you what the bounds are, but not always.

Another thing to consider at Vantage is the rock tends to dinner plate in the cracks. This can give some climbers options from just jamming by allowing an occasional face climbing move. In Leavenworth you really need to jam - hands and feet in the crack as edges are pretty rare in the cracks and on the face.

As for the ratings, here is an example. R.O.T.C. in Leavenworth is 5.11C and it is an easier lead then Red M&M's in my opinion after leading both.

Also, Kramer upgraded Easter Overhang from 10A to 10C in his last edition and I still think its 10A. But its wide, and some climbers don't like wide cracks.

I've only toproped Red M&Ms, not led it, but I got on it a number of times in the late 80s/early 90s. Each time I continued straight up the left-hand seam at the crux, rather than moving right where you now see a bunch of chalk off on the right-hand arete. (There was no chalk on the arete back then. Of course, there was no chalk ANYWHERE at Vantage back then.) I don't know if this is harder than moving right, but it always seemed .12a to me.

I don't lead 11C or 12A trad, but I thought Cocaine Crack was quite a bit easier than George and Martha's (both rated 5.10A). However, the bottom 20 feet of Angel Crack feels far harder than either of them. cantfocus.gif

Dude tighten up, that's nuts. G&M is far easier. I'm not gonna dispute a half a grade here or there but cocaine crack simply taint easier than G&M, no how hellno3d.gif. bigdrink.gif

What about Pony Keg -vs- Celestial Groove (5.9) or Air Guitar -vs- Crack of Doom (10a) or Bob's your Uncle -vs- Pumpline (11a) or the Nose at (10d) for that matter? yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif I be thinkin little man "gyeslinck" be right...

Bob's your Uncle -vs- Pumpline (11a) or the Nose at (10d) for that matter? yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif I be thinkin little man "gyeslinck" be right...

I tried pumpline the other day, I got to the half way point where I bailed. My other two partners "aided" to the top. If pumpline were at Vantage it would be like a 5.12+. laugh.gif

Many of the basalt cracks like Sex Party, Tangled Up In Blue, and Air Guitar are easy for the grade.

Sex Party (5.10), but actually 5.9

Air Guitarist (5.10), actually 5.9-

Tangle up in Blue (5.9), actually 5.8

"Sex Party (5.10), but actually 5.9" agree

"Air Guitarist (5.10), actually 5.9-" agree

"Tangle up in Blue (5.9), actually 5.8" disagree

Which is harder, "Pony Keg, or Celesial Groove, 5.9?" Definitely Celestial Groove. I think Celestial Groove should be 5.10a/b, just because of the start, then it settles down to 5.9. Pony Keg is quite straight forward.

Edited by catbirdseat

Bob's Your Uncle has about ten feet of hard climbing near the top where the crack gets narrow. The rest of the climb is about 5.9 maybe some 5.10A. Remember routes are rated on the hardest move of the climb - its called the Yosemite rating system.

I've lead Pumpline and it is so short how do you compare it to Red M&Ms? Pumpline is an easier lead than Red M&Ms. And Andy is correct it is harder to stay in the seam on Red M&Ms, but it is still hard even when you go to the right. Most people who TR go to the right, that's what all the chalk is about.

Gyselinck head to the Valley (you know the Big Ditch, aka Yosemight) and lead Vanishing Point - you may become a 5.11C climber! The climb is 165 feet long all 5.7 with one wicked move up high. hahaha.gif

If a guide book gets you within one step of your opinion of the grade its doing good. As you can tell from above its very subjective. Climbing at lots of different areas will give you a good feel for ratings.

I think areas that were pioneered by Jeff Thomas, New York climber who moved here in the 70s, have the hardest climbing for the rating. These areas are Smith Rocks and Beacon. Go climb Blown Out, Free for Some, Second Wind, Stepping Wolf, awesome climbs all at Beacon (but its closed now for birds nesting), continous hard climbing, rating is generally on, but never ever over rated.

Good discussion.

No, but it's worth $26 at your local climbing shop smile.gif

I would agree with that....the thing I totally love with this book is the Spiral bound side....much better than a regual bound book...at least the small pebbles and dirt dont' stay in this one like they still are in my old one

Edited by russman