thelawgoddess

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by danielpatricksmith:

quote:

and if i die out there, just leave me be. i can't really think of a better place to be buried.

No offense meant, but once you are put in an even marginally frightening situation, you'll change your tune. Summit or the death thoughts are great when you are sitting on your couch at home, but fox hole religion takes over when it all hits the fan.

Plus, I don't want to be hiking along and accidentally put my boot through your decaying torso. [Eek!][Eek!]

In the year 2000 the Mountaineers Ice course went to Brian Burdo and asked him where there could be a so called "official" drytooling area. The result is the location previously posted here.

This particular area is not super hot. It's a bit low angle and slabby. However there are numerous climbs here.

However, there have been reports of fun mixed climbs down the railroad grade a bit at the Exit 38 climbing area. Periodically there is ice between "Slippery when Wet" and "Stick Boy", sometimes there's ice between "Hangover Helper" and "Home Erectus" and sometimes on "Just Dessert."

The Cobblestone Wall on Mt. Baker Highway has seen a bit of drytooling action. Apparently Scott DeCapio has sent a 5.8 route here in full ice climbing regalia.

And lastly, the Toolshed, which requires real skill to climb at can be found near Pan Dome Falls in the Mt. Baker Ski Area.

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by danielpatricksmith:

quote:

and if i die out there, just leave me be. i can't really think of a better place to be buried.

No offense meant, but once you are put in an even marginally frightening situation, you'll change your tune. Summit or the death thoughts are great when you are sitting on your couch at home, but fox hole religion takes over when it all hits the fan.

If you die out there, let me know where its gonna be so I can be first on the scene and score the newly-available used gear before anyone else does. [laf]

Then in 5000 years your frozen corpse can be the focus of a new interactive museum just like Otzi!

quote:

Originally posted by Chepe:

just take a hit of acid and drytool Godzilla at Index free solo, you'll learn fast or splatter! HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

The Doctor read some article in one of the climbing mags years ago about some dudes who would drop acid and solo routes in the Black Canyon, and they had t-shirts that read "Blotter is My Spotter."

[ 11-12-2002, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

quote:

Originally posted by Chepe:

just take a hit of acid and drytool Godzilla at Index free solo, you'll learn fast or splatter! HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

The Doctor read some article in one of the climbing mags years ago about some dudes who would drop acid and solo routes in the Black Canyon, and they had t-shirts that read "Blotter is My Spotter."

Tom Cosgriff.

Middendorf and Shipley also both advocated the hallucinogens and soloing method of preparing for altered states of suffering while mountaineering in remote places.

[ 11-12-2002, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Dru ]

quote:

i have to take a day off of work this week. anybody wanna hit up exit 38 for some "dry"tooling ... in the rain?

Fuck yeah, what day? Maybe nighttime for added training intensity??

If not, other suggestions...

Try the nice lil' M7 at sehome hill. Good practice on dicey rock. Still waiting a lead ascent (make sure I'm nowhere around). Newhalem rock is kinda fun too. Better yer, go to Gov. Lister Cliffs of Chuckanut drive, if you can drytool there, you'll be ready for a mixed ascent of the chossiest route. Helmets seriously required.

Of course, I've never never done any of these suggestion(for all you local fanatics [Wink]

[ 11-12-2002, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: michael_layton ]

Drytooling is not a beginner sport. Plus it can be fucking hazardous to your dental work and cranium bone. Get off the hype lawgoddess and quit fondling through magazines so much. Within about 20 minutes I bet you'd find it real boring anyway. Pulling on plastic is more fun. Besides I am with Lambone when he mentions ruining gear and will not improve any ice climbing skills you have. I doubt you'll do much drytooling this winter while out seeking ice anyhow. Usually it's sick shit and doesnt really compare to what the Cascade Crags gym has to offer.

quote:

Originally posted by Dumpster Diver:

Drytooling is not a beginner sport. Plus it can be fucking hazardous to your dental work and cranium bone. Get off the hype lawgoddess and quit fondling through magazines so much. Within about 20 minutes I bet you'd find it real boring anyway. Pulling on plastic is more fun. Besides I am with Lambone when he mentions ruining gear and will not improve any ice climbing skills you have. I doubt you'll do much drytooling this winter while out seeking ice anyhow. Usually it's sick shit and doesnt really compare to what the Cascade Crags gym has to offer.

The best dry tooling is down at the Rebar!