Lexus commercial...

erden

So here I am working away on my laptop with the TV in the background. I glance up to see this guy towing a sled in a blizzard, no partners, walking along a crevasse. There is a shot of him walking on the edge with camera viewpoint from within the crevasse.

THEN: he walks up to an wall of glacier ice and swings his ice tool on the ice. It is one of those Black Diamond straight shaft jobs. It has an adze on it. The kicker is that he is throwing the adze end of the tool on the ice, giving the impression that he will now be climbing up that ice.

And I had been swinging the pick all this time. Bummer, no wonder I have trouble going up steep stuff rolleyes.gif

It is a Lexus commercial.

Erden.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to see this commercial just to understand what ice climbing and glaciers have to do with Lexuses. Or is that Lexusi?

You don't have to see the commerical at all. Lexuses and their gas guzzling siblings are going to help fuck up the environment so there's no more ice left to climb.

Simple.

It appears another attempt by Lexus to make their new car seem adventurous. They keep coming up with weird comercials involving that button they have on their new car that starts the car.

So far I've seen

1. a woman walks out to her car as voice over announces a ten second countdown to launch. She hops in the car and presses the start/stop button, and drives away.

2. a rubber clad woman descends on cables like in mission impossible, and presses the start/stop button in the middle of an intricate crystal structure--cut to car drivng down road.

3. a diver enters a rotting hulk of a ship or sub, opens a couple doors, and reaches a room reminiscent of some military missile launching room, and presses the start/stop button

4. the ice climbing commercial, where the climber drills into the ice to be able to uncover the start/stop button.

It seems that they are attempting to make people believe that pushing a button to start your car can make driving a Lexus seem like an adventure.

I'll have to see this commercial just to understand what ice climbing and glaciers have to do with Lexuses. Or is that Lexusi?

You don't have to see the commerical at all. Lexuses and their gas guzzling siblings are going to help fuck up the environment so there's no more ice left to climb.

Simple.

Can it really be true what you say? My brain is having trouble accepting this idea. My head hurts when I think of unpleasant things like deforestation and global warming and pollution. But I feel so good when I see those pretty, luxurious vehicles driving over clean, unpolluted countryside! And I love those slogans like "If Mother Nature drove an SUV, this would be the one."

How can cars be bad for the environment? I never see any pollution in the background on the commercials.

I think the commercials are right and you are wrong. I'm going to stop listening to you Chicken Little types. Instead I'm going to buy a big SUV so I can spend all day driving across one of those perfect landscapes where Mount Everest is digitally inserted into the background.

It seems that they are attempting to make people believe that pushing a button to start your car can make driving a Lexus seem like an adventure.

I've never driven (or been in) a Lexus, but when I was in Italy a couple of years ago, I rented a Renault Laguna which had a push button start:

start5dm.jpg

The "key" was kind of cool too:

key8cn.jpg

The adventurous part was cruising down the highway at 140 kph, and still getting passed by the locals in their Fiats. hellno3d.gif

So here I am working away on my laptop with the TV in the background. I glance up to see this guy towing a sled in a blizzard, no partners, walking along a crevasse. There is a shot of him walking on the edge with camera viewpoint from within the crevasse.

THEN: he walks up to an wall of glacier ice and swings his ice tool on the ice. It is one of those Black Diamond straight shaft jobs. It has an adze on it. The kicker is that he is throwing the adze end of the tool on the ice, giving the impression that he will now be climbing up that ice.

And I had been swinging the pick all this time. Bummer, no wonder I have trouble going up steep stuff rolleyes.gif

It is a Lexus commercial.

Erden.

i just saw this lame peice of shit thumbs_down.gif

What I like about some of these Renault "keys" (my sister has a Mégane with that system) is the remote activation. Walk to your car and when you're close to it, it unlocks. Keep the key in your pocket and hit the Start button, it knows you've got the key. Walk away after driving and the car locks itself when you're about 10 ft away. Sweet.

I believe Italy stepped up their speed limit on highways from 130 km/h to 150 km/h a couple years ago, to reflect local usage. At 140 km/h everybody will pass you (in the more mellower France, 160 km/h is the average cruising speed on highway, and many will drive 180 km/h).

drC

hmmm...we had a to wire in a push button start on our old mazda when a relay went out. didn't know we turned our middle of the road japanese car into a luxury japanese car. i had no idea i was driving such a trendy car. go figure. rolleyes.gif

oh, it's sooooooo hard to turn the key.

my toe (conveniently positioned on the TV stand next to the more intense computer) pushed the off button just as this commercial was going ice climbing, which was the only second i caught as i checked my aim on the kill switch. my cynical excitement was not rewarded as i tried to revive the adventure - only got the "lexus of bellevue" message. i guess they think it's time to take the soccer mom's climbing!

hmmm...we had a to wire in a push button start on our old mazda when a relay went out. didn't know we turned our middle of the road japanese car into a luxury japanese car. i had no idea i was driving such a trendy car. go figure. rolleyes.gif

The 'coolness' of the push button start trickled down from exotic models such as Ferrari and Aston Martin. It has indeed become quite trendy of late in non-exotic cars.

Dang it, that commercial's not listed on the Lexus site. It'd be funny to see this--(I don't own a TV)--so does anyone have an online source for watching it?

Ha, I know that some might be tempted to respond unproductively:), so yes, I do have better things to do...now, where's the commercial?:)

If we're all bitching about advances in convenience, maybe we should all go back to steel carabiners and pitons, goldline, and fucking heavy wool knickers.

I'm no fan of Lexus or any other luxury car, but it seems we all piss on the things we don't use, but embrace and drool all over the LATEST in climbing gear. WTF? wazzup.gif

shit - i just got back from a long night to come see this. sure - i'll go rock the knickers, i still got a pair - whatever.

bash the f-ing suv's. most of that shit is ridiculous. how big an impact does new climbing gear have compared to vehicles?

but - i swear i'm not a hater.

Edited by Steddy

I had a roommate in college that started his Vega Station Wagon with a screwdriver. He didn't own any key for it.