Thinking about an Avalung?

snoboy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom bought me the original avalung when they first came out. I wore it a few times, but it was bulky and uncomfortable. I think the newer design looks significantly better. After reading stories where the devices actually made a difference, it is tempting to purchase a new one. It still seems like the design could use some refinement, particularly in reducing the bulk of the breathing tube. I feel that the more stremlined the design becomes, and the lower the price drops, the more widely adopted the device will be. I feel the BD made a mistake by introducing the original Avalung in a configuration that was not conducive to widespread apotion.

That is the vest version that you have? I thought they were bulky and impractical too. The sling does seem an improvement though.

That seems typical of BD ski gear though, to release a beta version on the public...

I think that they should work on licensing (?) the tech to pack makers. I would be more inclined to have one thing on than two. I guess it would really need to be transferable pack to pack, so you could have one "breather unit" that could be put in various packs. I regularly use at least three packs for various ski endeavours. I would not want to pay for the avalung three times...

the pack idea would be interesting. Without drawing it out I'm struggling with a practical design to double as the Avalung 2 I have.

I think the avalung is perfect for a few days per season at home, or often most days on a trip to a locale your not familiar with. The 2 is much more streamlined, but I still wouldn't use it most days. Your right, it feels like one more thing on. But on the right day, it feels good to know you have one.