Beta on Westside?

Harm

Anybody have any beta on the west side conditions? I imagine it's like normal May/June conditions out there. Particularly interested in Success Cleaver... probably too late already considering the winter we've had... or not had. The park could probably open the westside road already if they havn't already... anybody know for sure?

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if the Westside road is open, but it doesn't really matter open or closed, since the road is washed out at about 2 miles. You'll want to mountain bike it anyway, whether from the gate or the barricade-- won't change your time investment a whole lot. You could also consider an approach from Longmire via the Wonderland Trail, or from Christine Falls. There will be some snow but I'll bet it's very scant in the trees and won't slow you down.

That being said, Success Cleaver looks like an absolute suffer-fest to me. I'm more inclined to consider Tahoma Glacier or Sunset Ridge or one of the more aesthetic west/northwest side ascents, maybe in April if the weather holds. I bet a lot of the glacier ascents won't last into summer this year.

Thanks, I PM'd Mystic and Sundry for further details. Looks like the westside road is already open to the permanent closure (per Mike G's recent post). I was always told (can't remember if it was Mike or differrent Rangers) that the best/quickest way to access Success cleaver (and most SW routes) was through the Tahoma Creek trail just beyond the permanent closure (1-2 miles?), technically closed because of flooding, but well worn, easy to find and follow and used often by the Rangers on westside scouting approaches.

Anybody have thoughts that differ from that opinion? I guess I'd be curious to where people ditch their bikes at if biking in... i.e. what trailhead access point?

Anybody have thoughts that differ from that opinion? I guess I'd be curious to where people ditch their bikes at if biking in... i.e. what trailhead access point?

No differing thoughts here. It's been a couple years since I've been up the Tahoma trail, but I thought the trail was in pretty good shape, and a waaaaay better way to Indian Henry's versus the Wonderland from Longmire or the Kautz Trail.

I never biked in (didn't seem worth the trouble at the time) but always saw bikes cabled to trees just off the road, right next to the trail. Not many people on that trail, so it seems safe enough. Just use your "trailhead bike" just to be sure! The trailhead is only about a 1/2 hour walk from the gate. While the trailhead isn't that obvious, you'll see the obvious "blue bag barrel" on your left as you're heading up the road. (And more often than not a NPS licensed truck!)

-kurt