any of you know anything about flying?

minx

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minx -

I am not sure where you are located, but an ex-boyfriend of mine was loking into flight instruction when we were dating and he settled on Wings Aloft in Seattle near Boeing Field. Supposedly, it is one of the leading schools in the Seattle area.

Good luck! smile.gif

Brianna

Hey Minx,

I attained a private pilots license from Utah State University about 4 years ago.

I think the biggest thing about finding a instructor, is your compatibility wiht that person. A part 41, or 161 school will require a minimum of 35-40 hours of flight time, and ground school, plus the exams. For me it took 71 hours of flight time, including the exams. This took 1 and a half years flying about 2 times a week.

Obviously this can be done much quicker, but the point is, find a instructor who will be with you for the whole training, and who is good for you. Check with schools and private instructors. Private instructors are generally older, and care more about flying, then achieving flight hours for the Airline transport Liscence(1500 hours).

Hope this helps, and have fun its a blast

Nick thumbs_up.gif

Usually if you buy most commercial pilots a gin and tonic, they'll let you take the controls of the 747 for a while, and then they get to chill out or boff a stewardess or whatever. This is especially true on long flights, such as across the larger bodies of water (i.e. oceans), or across large landmasses such as continents. Good way to get some hours, and once the licensing people find out you been flyin' the big birds, they'll pretty much just give you a license for little single-engine things. You'll be hopping in the Cessna and hollering "clear prop!" in no time!

There, best advice you've heard all week, about anything, and you can take it to the bank, free of charge, because Dr. Flash Amazing is just good people.

For those who wish to learn how to fly, there are several tried and true methods. First you should make sure you have good insurance as this makes things easier in the long run. Second, you must decide WHAT you want to fly. For light individuals a tarp is ideal (a rip-stop coating is essential as high wind velocity can rip it apart before you have safely reached the ground) For those of a heavier build, a rubberized small pool cover usually does the trick. Third you must gradually build yourself up to flying. Jumping off cars and small houses is a great start and with time you can progress to apartment buildings and flagpoles. With the proper emphasis on body positioning and antigravitational ergogenics, you will find yourself flying in no time!

If you can get in...the Boeing Flight school is the BOMB!! BUT..you must either work at boeing, or have a relative that works there. They are the cheapest and most experienced! I HIGHLY recommend them!!

Maybe we can be in ground school together! I'm signed up for the next class that starts later this summer!!

-M

If you can get in...the Boeing Flight school is the BOMB!! BUT..you must either work at boeing, or have a relative that works there. They are the cheapest and most experienced! I HIGHLY recommend them!!

Maybe we can be in ground school together! I'm signed up for the next class that starts later this summer!!

-M

everyone stay off the sidewalks now!

i've flown in Cessnas and other small planes a bunch of times, as a passenger. had one pilot who once allowed me to take the controls for a few moments & do a little steering for the hell of it.... it was one of THE most exhilarating experiences of my life. shocked.gif

i would totally get a pilot license if i could scrape together the, what is it.. about 6 or 7 thousand bucks for the lessons? and apparently you can get a used Cessna for like 20K. i would much sooner do all this than, say, buy a swimming pool or a luxury car.

I took lessons at wings aloft, i definitely liked them. I actually found flying a plane the first time way easier than driving a car the first time. I took off, flew the entire flight and landed the first time. I owe it all to growing up on microsoft flight simulator i suppose smile.gif

I flew with Wings Aloft last quarter (guess the UW Aero department people want their students to be excited about airplanes or something...). Took off, flew around, and landed, but the instructor had to take over for the last little landing bit.

I was disappointed, it was like the first time I drove a car. Skiing and climbing are far more interesting, engaging, and exciting. Not to mention that I prefer to be in more tangible control of my fate...