Gym Climbers

payaso

Just a little rant. I have noticed that gym climbing has gotten extremely popular even though it doesn't much appeal to me. I know there are many great reasons to do it and many great climbers who get a lot out of it, but it seems like there are a huge number of people out there who have ONLY been climbing in the gym and who assume that when you talk about climbing that you are referring to gym climbing.

Anyone else notice this and think its kind of funny? I have met people and think we have something in common. After I say that I climb to climb actual mountains its like we were from different worlds and they just kind of look at you funny like its not really climbing unless you go to a gym.

Once I said I don't like going to climbing gyms much and someone actually said, "yeah, climbings not for everyone." wazzup.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) If you don't like gyms, why go there? Isn't that like going to your ex-gf's house and watching her get rug burns with some other guy?

2) Would you rather have people sitting around the house eating bags of Cheetos and watching TV so they don't invade your space and use 'your' gym?

3) Could you whine anonymously on the Internet a little more please? I never get tired of that shit.

Last night in the gym I spoke to a guy who pretty much only climbs in the gym. He's been to GNS and Vantage a few times. He says Vantage gives him the willies because he was there at Sunshine right after Goran died. He doesn't like the occasional loose hold. I told him that on some alpine climbs, every step hold is loose. If he only knew all the other people who died outside in all the other places, doubtless he wouldn't climb anywhere but the gym ever again.

If we convince more of them that Gym climbing is the only true form of climbing maybe it'll clear out the crags?

the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

There are several people at work who call themselves rock climbers who have never been on real rock. They were all excited to meet me and talk about climbing, but won't talk to me now once they found out I actually climb rock, ice and big mountains. To me - they aren't climbers. One guy at work considers himself a "mountaineer" because he has attempted Rainier 3 times - but that is his only mountaineering experience. 3 attempts on Rainier, and never having climbed another mountain ever doesn't make you a mountaineer if you never get past Muir.

I love working out at the climbing gym because it keeps me strong. I can't climb outdoors every weekend - I would if I could. It is also one hell of a stress release. I would rather pull on plastic than walk/run on a treadmill.

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

My point wasn't really that there is anything at all with climbing gyms. I'm sure I'll get off my duff and get into it one of these days.

What REALLY seems weird is like the last poster said. It is now entirely possible to be introduced to a group of people who "climb" yet you have nothing in common. Usually when you meet climbers and have a few brews the discussion goes into the one-upmanship mode. "That was nothing, you should have been there the time we had to bivy on......"

What is also equally weird is how they often show little or no interest in actually getting out and climbing something. Its like they only enjoy it in a gym setting.

Yeah, ok, its better than many things they could be doing. Its just an observation that seems weird to me, that all. cantfocus.gif

It's sort of like calling yourself a gluesniffer, but all you huff is non-toxic wood glue. Sure...you're sniffing glue, but you're missing out one of the truely great things about sniffing glue. Maybe that wood glue is ok...but those who have had the real stuff know the difference.

So the other day I was at home and near to my front door, which was shut. The door across the hall opened and I heard voices. I looked through the peephole in the door and saw two fairly attractive young women (early 20s) standing there talking to the two neighbor dudes that live there. They were on their way out someplace. I could smell the girls' perfumes through the door.

At any rate, one of the two girls had a real bitchy attitude. One of the guys said something about needing or wanting to go rock climbing the next day and the bitch girl, in your typical bitchy voice, huffed (probably while doing that roll-eyes thing) "why would anybody want to climb up a rock?"

To this the dude responded, "Uh, you're about a 5 out of 10." I chuckled under my breadth behind the door. He had totally given her the smack down.

So the dudes stepped away to do something and the two girls talked to each other about how they looked, what they were wearing, etc....totally, like, like totally, you know. And so, I'm like, this is totally, like, funny 'n stuff. By this time I had to step away from the door and go back to watching TV, for I couldn't contain my audible laughter any longer. In hindsight, I should have bust up laughing behind the door, giving 'em my own smack down, as it were.

It was quite comical. And I thought those things only happened in teenybopper movies. yellaf.gif

So the other day I was at home and near to my front door, which was shut. The door across the hall opened and I heard voices. I looked through the peephole in the door and saw two fairly attractive young women (early 20s) standing there talking to the two neighbor dudes that live there. They were on their way out someplace. I could smell the girls' perfumes through the door.

At any rate, one of the two girls had a real bitchy attitude. One of the guys said something about needing or wanting to go rock climbing the next day and the bitch girl, in your typical bitchy voice, huffed (probably while doing that roll-eyes thing) "why would anybody want to climb up a rock?"

To this the dude responded, "Uh, you're about a 5 out of 10." I chuckled under my breadth behind the door. He had totally given her the smack down.

So the dudes stepped away to do something and the two girls talked to each other about how they looked, what they were wearing, etc....totally, like, like totally, you know. And so, I'm like, this is totally, like, funny 'n stuff. By this time I had to step away from the door and go back to watching TV, for I couldn't contain my audible laughter any longer. In hindsight, I should have bust up laughing behind the door, given 'em my own smack down, as it were.

It was quite comical. And I thought those things only happened in teenybopper movies. yellaf.gif

That's the funniest fucking thing I've read this week. (With the exception of Klenke's fucking brilliant Penis Nsula map.)

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

- a s s m moon.gif n k e y

Edited by assmonkey