The Southeast Ridge of Mount Siguniang - China

The_North_Face

Join us for an evening of slides and video with Himalayan Veteran, Mountain Guide, and China and Tibet Expert, Jon Otto

Tuesday, March 15, 7:00PM, FREE (Light Refreshments Served)

In early winter of 2004, American alpinists Jon Otto and Tim Boelter joined a team of top-notched Chinese climbers for an assault of 20,500’ Siguniang via the Southeast ridge. It was to be the first successful Chinese ascent of this beautiful mountain. Located on the eastern Tibetan Plateau, Siguniang (The Four Sisters) is situated in one of the most remote, unexplored mountain areas on earth. With century-old Tibetan villages dotting the valley floor below, Siguniang shoots up sharply and dramatically, leaving no easy way to the summit. The intricate and technical routes on Siguniang have long proved to be a daunting challenge to the Chinese climbing community. Battling inclement weather and constant avalanche danger, the team spent 20 days climbing the 1800 meters of mixed rock, snow and ice. Jon and Chinese climber Ma Yihua led the summit push, which involves a steep traverse over a heavily corniced ridge with incredible exposure. Their successful ascent of Siguniang sets a milestone in the development of technical climbing in China. Jon will also talk about how the traditional Tibetan way of life is adjusting to the recent influx of tourism and climbers.

THE NORTH FACE 1023 1st Ave, Seattle (corner 1st & Spring) (206) 622-4111

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The speaker Jon Otto gave me the picture. I can find out where it was taken next time I spoke with him. Last year I passed by that mountain when I climbed in SiChuan but I didn't get a good view.

I just found out that you had a slide show of SW China last night! Too bad I missed it. Which part of SiChuan did you go?