• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Jens

rope diameter and price?

Why do single ropes get way way more expensive the skinnier they get? Doesn't less material make for a cheaper and quicker product to make?

For instance, company "X" makes a 60m 9.4mm and charges $200+ for the thing-- And it makes a 60m 10.5mm and charges $99. Especailly when both ropes are in the same line by comapny "X" and are made on the same loom. Are they just gouging us bad?

__

Also what rope brand's specs on diameter run on the fat or skinny side? Ever notice that one brand of 10mm is like another brand's 10.5mm?

I suspect becuase there is more demand for 9.4mm.

If people demand more of a product, you can get away with charging a higher price.

...Also what rope brand's specs on diameter run on the fat or skinny side? Ever notice that one brand of 10mm is like another brand's 10.5mm?

Diameter of rope is measured under load. I assume the 80 kg test load, but I'm not sure.

smaller diameter also means less weight = more convenience...therefore higher price?

If people demand more of a product, you can get away with charging a higher price.

Based on sales, I see wayyy more demand for 10.2-10.5mm ropes than for anything sub-10mm. The price/demand relationship only works up to a point, until the supply catches up to demand. At some point if demand is high enough, production gets ramped up to a volume that starts bringing the unit cost of production down, and competitive pressures force the manufacturers and retailers to pass those lower costs on to the consumer in the form of lower retail prices. More than anything that's why 10.5s cost less than 9.4s - they're making far more of the stuff, so it's cheaper. So in this instance, the lower demand product (9.4mm rope) ends up costing more precisely because there's less demand for it.

Here, homo, why don't you shut the fuck up? madgo_ron.gif

Fuckin' dwarf-ass bitch. mad.gif

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifthe_finger.gif

sorry 'bout that, bitch...i was out climbing (well trying to anyway) yesterday...yelrotflmao.gif

Based on sales, I see wayyy more demand for 10.2-10.5mm ropes than for anything sub-10mm. The price/demand relationship only works up to a point, until the supply catches up to demand. At some point if demand is high enough, production gets ramped up to a volume that starts bringing the unit cost of production down, and competitive pressures force the manufacturers and retailers to pass those lower costs on to the consumer in the form of lower retail prices. More than anything that's why 10.5s cost less than 9.4s - they're making far more of the stuff, so it's cheaper. So in this instance, the lower demand product (9.4mm rope) ends up costing more precisely because there's less demand for it.

Thanks for that explanation!