• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Jens

Rubbing alcohol on hands?

Some people say it is ok to pour rubbing alcohol all over your hands before you go rock climbing and other people say it is seriously fubar'd. I've heard several people say it is absorbed into the pores in your skin and can cause, posioning, nauseau, and dizziness, and other nasty long term side effects. Any medical proffessionals have the lowdown on this?

Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol and very volatile, it will evaporate before enough of it is absorbed into the skin.

That Purell hand-santizer and various copies are mostly rubbing alcohol. If those are poison, there's some serious poisoning going on!

Rubbing acetone or xylene or ... [CBS please add to this list grin.gif] all over your hands would probably be bad.

Directions on bottle of rubbing alcohol: Pour on skin. Rub in.

Don't drink it though.

That Purell hand-santizer and various copies are mostly rubbing alcohol. If those are poison, there's some serious poisoning going on!

Rubbing acetone or xylene or ... [CBS please add to this list grin.gif] all over your hands would probably be bad.

I'll add...toulene? smile.gif

Never heard of this technique. I'm guessing the purpose would be to either 1. clean the oil off your hands, or 2. sanitize them so the next climber doesn't pick up any of your nasty little microbes through contact with a contaminated object (the rock)? The latter sounds like something my obsessive mom would do after being on a route. 'Cept she doesn't climb.

Isopropanol is completely harmless. Rub it on your hands as much as you want to get the sweat and oils off. The only downside is that it tends to dry out your skin so wash your hands and moisturize after climbing to prevent cracked bleeding cuticles and other such unpleasantness.

I'll add...toulene? smile.gif

mehtyl ethyl ketone cantfocus.gif

Not OK to rub on hands:

Nitric acid

Caustic soda

Butyric acid

Tar sludge

Rabid wolverines

OK to rub on hands:

Dove soap

Chalk

Rubbing alcohol

Firm, natural breasts

i don't think the effects would last very long, you sweat pretty fast. maybe to get rid of x/s suntan lotion.

we use Purell hand sanitizer at our school when we palpate in labs and every time i forget that my hands have open wounds on them from climbing and I scream and freak out the whole class.