La Sportiva Superfly vs Exum Ridge

Dr_Crash

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superflys are almost slipper-like, no support anywhere on the shoe. Really super light without any footbed. You'd have to put something inside. I'd climb with them, but not walk a long ways unless it was less than an hour at the most. I'd say more fashion as it looks super cool. I'd do something a bit beefier for an approach shoe like the Montrails. Not really familiar with the Exums. bigdrink.gif

I think they call the Exums an approach shoe actually.

I've had a pair for about 6 months. Great pair of tenny runners, not as good a climbing shoe as say a Montrail D7. Other thing about the Exums is that they have mesh pretty far down the shoe, which means if you walk in mud or water, you will get some in your shoes.

Very comfy though.

The soles of the superfly are way better than the exum ridge and are lighter = better approach shoe. i'd take em on anything that didn't involve strap on crampons. still, they will fall apart on you after 1 season of heavier use, 2 seasons of occasional use. the exums will also fall apart on you.

The D7's hike and climb great, but aren't super light. also the heel tends to get chewed up quickly and causes blisters, and the stiching on the sides of the shoes falls apart quickly. good for strap on crampons.

so far the older version of the boulders have been my fav shoes, wish they still made them.

the mad rock looks great for the price, i'd get those. the new lighter garmont also look pretty good. i'm testing out an addidas approach shoe that looks friggin awesome, can't wait to slog in them. i'll give feedback when I've used them on something significant.

Teva makes a super light shoe i saw at REI, i'd like to test those too. finally Nike always seems to produce a great shoe every couple years, but then stops making them.

Those Mad Rock shoes? http://www.acmeclimbing.com/browseproducts/Mad-Rock-Fanatic.HTML (on sale at mgear.com for those of you with small or very big feet).

Much better than a $45 Superfly?

And is the Garmont the "Sticky spin" ($99) and the Teva that one? http://www.teva.com/Apparel_Detail.asp?dept_id=1&sku=6628&sc=sale&g=men&s=1

drC

drC

Superflys fall apart when you sneeze and they don't make em anymore. There is a new model coming out, the Superdrago, which looks much more robust.

Nike Tallac are a wicked idea, with a very climbing-friendly sole, but I don't think they'd last more than a few weeks of heavy use.

Has ANYBODY seen the La Sportiva Trango Guide in any stores? It looks to be just about the best heavy approacch shoe made, but I can't find a single listing on the net, only in their recent catalogue confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Nike always seems to produce a great shoe every couple years, but then stops making them.

I have a pair of super duper lightweight Nikes that I use for camp shoes that are just awesome. Since we're talking about really light footwear options, I just popped over to Nike's website to see what they are called, and guess what? Looks like they are not making them any more!! laugh.gif