Beta on Elephant's Perch?

chalkball

I am heading down to Ketchum for a couple of weeks this summer - I was wondering if anyone has climbed at Elephant's Perch on Redfish Lake? What I found on the 'net was limited to the Mountaineers route and the Becky route...Any ideas of other routes and their difficulties?

The mountie route sounds OK, but anything harder would be a bit much, as I am taking a fairly newish 2nd. Any good routes that are fairly casual?

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Finger of Fate is nearby and has several popular moderate routes on it's north face. Do a google search. There are also a couple of trip reports to be found in the California and Everywhere Else forum. Use the search function to find them.

I've never climbed in the Sawtooths, but it looks cool.

Post a trip report here when you come back. thumbs_up.gif

BTW: It's "Beckey" not "Becky". wink.gif

Elephants Perch is awesome. Mtnrs Route is fun 8 or 9. Beckey and Fine Line are fairly stout 11.s. There is a route in the buttress behind the lake in the pic, cant remember hte name, it was 9 or 10 and a great route but one that requires a bit of experience for route finding on the crux, way cool.

G

PS - take the boat, youll like it...

The lodge at the other end of the lake is a nice way to kick off and end your trip. Don't miss the Mud Pie or the smoked trout. They also sell the trout in the gift shop so you can take some with ya. If you get a room with shared bathroom it's pretty cheap to stay at the lodge.

boat ride=$6 each way

I went last September for hiking and fishing, and also visited the Warbonnet Basin. There is a pretty popular climb back in there on Warbonnet Peak.

It's a great area, have fun. Loads of snaffles, though.

Good fishing too.

Edited by marylou

do you recommend a windshirt??

441591-rub-remixcd.jpg

Nolse's been waiting for someone to say "windshirt" or "lost biner" or "girth pillar" just so he could use that image!

But seriously -- Nolse's right about the Finger of Fate. It's super fun.

If you're looking for an easier route up the perch, Lopez mentions a 5.3 route up the NW shoulder, and I think that you can fourth-class the N side. But the mountaineer's route looks really fun. It's on my list for this summer too.

Also check out http://www.piquaclimber.com . Nice collection of TR's on the Perch (routes other than the ones you mention) and some others in the Sawtooths (you can email site maintainer - Brad - if you got more specific questions).

That is an awsome collection of route topos NOLSe has (my printer's working overtime)!

One thing about the Finger is that it seems super popular - start early or be ready to take a number and wait in line (maybe it was just our bad luck - and that was not even a long weekend or anything).

I thought the Mountaineers Route on the Perch was fun and not really sustained (most climbing was in the .7 range with some steps of .8 and one short section called 5.9 by the topo we had). Sunrise Book looks like a great climb.

If you're looking for an almost-guaranteed solitude, try the Warbonnet Peak further in. "Standard Route" (south face) is an easy .7 but has a great fun summit pitch. See the summitopost page on this one. There is an .11 route on it too acc. to Lopez.

I love that area!

Edited by fgw

I live about an hour from the Perch. If you want to call me up when you are planning to come out feel free. I plan on going up there a bunch this summer as I just moved out last fall and haven't climbed it yet. All the info you'll need is available at the Elephant's Perch gear shop in Ketchum.

Jarred

• 4 weeks later...

For additional topos (from the Elephant's Perch climbing shop in Ketchum) and beta for Elephant's Perch and the Sawtooths, see my web page:

http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/eperch/saw.htm

(If you just do a Google search on Elephant's Perch, the Elephant's Perch specific page will come up as #4, and Brad's page is right next to it).

Have fun,

Clint Cummins