Best Crash Pads?

blue

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Cordless which I like for its density (now Revolution) - I'm not sure how the redesign with the velco closures will hold up - I prefer the metal hook/buckles on mine. I understand that the Globe pad is similar in quality and density to the Cordless, for a bit less, although it has some nice detailing like reinforced corners. I did notice a Pagan pad on Overstock.com for $100 - It is a bi-fold design, rather than a taco-fold, so will have the flat spot at the seam between the 2 pad halves.

Misty Vs. Cordless (revolution). About same size, about same price, both have taco with non-slick top. Which would you go for in terms of use, durabilty, transport, ability to cary on back and in car etc.

I've got two of the Metolius and like them. Sometime around 2002 they started making the fold in the middle overlaping. It's hard to explain, but instead of squared ends at the fold, and the problem with that, the fold ends are cut at a 45 degree angle and backed with velcro so that when folded out flat, the two sections overlap and voila no "dead" spot. So you get the benefits of both taco fold system and split fold system. They also started using metal buckles around 2001, which are much much better than fastex. When new they are very good for long drops. IMO, overall they are the a little better than the Misty pads, which were the most popular sellers down in the Southeast (Misty is in western NC). The Misty pads I've used seemed like they were thicker than Metolius but less dense/rigid overall.

The first Metolius I have is prior to the metal buckles and overlapping fold, second one has them. The foam has lost some rigidity and the corners have developed small holes and the closure straps are frayed but it's got plenty of life left. They fold up easier, carry better, and are better to fall on than taco fold pads, but they are also smaller than the big Mistys, and worse to sleep on.

My $0.02