New Mexico....

L0ngpause

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havn't climbed in most of the state. Last year I was at City of Rocks. It is loads of fun. Tightley adheared tuft eroded into bizare shapes. Most all of it is 15-30 meters. Southwest corner of NM approximatley 25 miles north of Deming. I found the campground to be good right in the rocks with lots of space but then I was there in the late part of the season.

The only time I spent in New Mexico was a crazy job in Clovis( the shithole of the state) climbing 300 ft power-generating windmills. We spent a month in clovis and determined that there was no climable rock around that area(SE corner of the state). While spending a couple days in Albequerque before flying home, we climbed at an area called U-mound right in Albequerque. U mound is pretty much a bouldering area made up of 30-50 very sharp granite boulders. though bouldering ain't my thing, after a month with no climbing U mound was a ton of fun (Better boulderin than anything up here in b'ham). We met some cool locals who we ended up climbing and partying with for a couple days. though no destination, u mound is worth the stop if your in the area. the locals told us about a place called El Rito, that I beleive has sport routes on some kind of funky conglomerate, as well as the alpine routes of the the Sandias(?) mtns. i.e. Warpy Moople.

Isn't City of Rocks not in New Mexico? Oh, if you know, because I haven't even been there, someone was telling me there was granite mountains, I just don't know about that.

I think there is a city or rocks in Idaho as well as one in New Mexico.

Dude,

I lived in New Mexico for two years and climbed all over the place. I just moved to Oregon and I really miss the climbing. It's a lot better there!

First of all, let me say that I lived in Albuquerque and I hated it. There's tons of crime, it's dirty, hot and poor.

BUT - the climbing is great.

The Sandia Mountains jut 6,000 feet above town, sitting literally at Albuquerque's city limits. There are huge rock buttresses in the Sandia that guard the summit, punctuated by massive cracks and incredible lines. It's chossy as hell, but great adventure climbing. Beneath the Sandias is a decent little bouldering area in a city park.

If you're willing to drive, you'll find unlimited climbing opportunities. And most of the climbing areas are deserted. Palomas Peak offers great limestone routes just north of the Sandias. North of Santa Fe, an area called White Rock boasts hundreds of really fun crack routes. There's also Datil, about two hours Southwest of Albuquerque. That's another killer area where you can camp at the base and climb on some really fun sedimentary rock.

And, don't forget Hueco Tanks!!! It's just five hours away in El Paso and totally worth the drive.

That's just a few of lots of places to climb in New Mexico. The food's great, the weather's not bad, and the climbing community is pretty cool.

Just don't move there.

PM me if you need more beta.

Ya longpause ya got that one. But one of the few things on my tick list for that road trip was to climb at City of Rocks and City of Rocks both in the same trip. There is another post a while back about my airheadedness making several trips to one while trying to find routes remembered from the other. Just in case your curious the closest resembleance is that they both have rocks. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

If you do happen to be in that part of the state I second Hueco Tanks.

Longpause, if you are in the Las Cruces area there is quite a bit of climbing in the Dona Anas. The stuff I have seen looks pretty good, multi-pitch trad stuff. On the southern end of the range I guess there is a good bouldering area. Also if you are in that area you are only 45 minutes from Hueco Tanks bouldering. There was an early issue of Climbing that had a long article on the Dona Anas. Have fun.

El Rito has pretty good climbing, with a very short approach (5 minutes from the car). There are a bunch of 2-3 pitch trad climbs there. There is guide book in PDF format floating around on the Internet. I think the rock is basalt. There is a walk-off from the top of the cliff.

El Rito also has some quality sport climbing. And the rock is NOT basalt. It is a quartzite conglomerate! Very interesting climbing on pockets and cobbles.

longpause, if you are looking for a New Mexican adventure, you should attend the White Trash Turkey Bash, held annually by a group of individuals in Silver City. All are welcome to attend and at times the party van will pick you up, full of snakes and lizards and occasionally the odd homeless man. Let me know if you are interested.

Lyger,

I enjoy white trash and turkey. Is this an open invitation? Also, I have a source in silver city that knows some cool areas around there (though I'm not sure about climbing specifically). PM me and I'll get you his name and contact information.

Is this by chance the same individual who is the founder of SILVER CITY BREWERY and former driver of "THE GETAWAY VAN" dubbed the perfect place for a howdown? Does anyone know the fastest way of travel to New Mexico from Washington? I was thinking about using the antigravitational qualities of dark energy, basically the by product of dark matter. This poses a question, exactly what type of dark enregy will be the cheapest and quickest. Of course there is the obvious, using a portal, but I haven't been able to locate one yet, my Tessla Coil has been acting up lately. There are black holes of course, which are abundant in this universe and I could even make my own if I spun around really fast so that I transended into the 5th demension, beyond the X,Y,Z axis and time..; this may prove to be dangerous for my health, so I may need to build some type of machine to travel through the black hole, but I may just end end disrupting it's atmosphere, resulting in the black hole actually imploding on me! I don't know if the white trash turkey bash would appreciate me disrupting the hoedown. Maybe I should just buy a motocycle, how long does it take to drive to New Mexico from the coordinates Lat- 46.7 Long- 120.5 declination- 6.3

if one had the energy, the trip to New Mexico could be made in 36 hours of almost constant driving. However, for those who like to retain their sanity, I would suggest the more relaxing time of 37 hours. Fastest is down I-5 and then due west upon a so-called "Highway" but for those of us who are not comfortable with these new fangles ways of high speed travel, there are many dirt roads filled with covered wagons and mule feces. I would suggest building up your immunity to rattlesnake venom first. The Ellensburg area is well know for it's affiliation out slithery frinds of desert temperment.

Longpause,

You must be an ignorant fool to use dark matter as a means of travel in this atmosphere. You should know that with the recent eruption of Mt St Helens, there is too much ash in the air for such a thing to work. Next time do your research, I won't always be here to bail you out.